Documentation of drivers

Options
LeonardK
LeonardK Member Posts: 14 New User

Hi all,

I have the Acer Aspire V3-571G with ArchLinux/Windows8.1 but I struggle to really understand what I'm installing as drivers on Windows. Sadly, there's no real documentation out there.

Why is there a "Turbo Boost" driver (on Windows 7 section) as there should be none needed, concerning intel etc.?

Same thing for "chipset driver": intel AFAIK doesn't provide special drivers for their chipsets as they are shipped with the OS.

Same thing for the "SATA AHCI" and the "USB3.0" driver. Why do I need them? What do they do and why aren't they displayed on all sections but only on specific Windows versions?

I hope someone in here can answer these questions as I'm really confused about different sources all talking *****, and no official documentation being available Smiley Sad

Thanks in advance!

Answers

• philetus
    philetus ACE Posts: 4,759 Pathfinder
    Options

Do I need Intel Chipset Software Installation Utility

http://www.intel.com/support/chipsets/inf/sb/CS-009270.htm

If you have the i7-3630QM, it has the capability for Turbo Boost.

http://www.shouldiremoveit.com/Intel-Turbo-Boost-Technology-Driver-7279-program.aspx

If you are going to run an SSD then you should install the AHCI driver interface. For non SSD it's not a must.

http://forum.crucial.com/t5/Crucial-SSDs/Why-do-i-need-AHCI-with-a-SSD-Drive-Guide-Here-Crucial-AHCI-vs/td-p/57078

If your USB 3.0 ports work or you don't have USB 3.0, you don't need to install it.

• LeonardK
    Options

Ok, thanks for the fast answer, but I have some questions, still:

Why is there no Chipset Installation utility for Windows8(.1) displayed in the driver section, just for Windows7? Is it recommended to use the Acer one (which is outdated) or go with the intel one?

My CPU has the capability for turbo boost but: Why is there a driver for that on the acer website while intel does not provide one? Is it only needed for Windows7 or isnt it needed anymore anyways because of a newer driver version?

The SATA AHCI driver is not mandatory but recommended than? I shall see to installing it than.

What about the intel Management Engine? It seems to be about RAID (or intel rapid storage?), but I don't use that, afaik.

Thanks for the answers though, but: why aren't they correctly labeled on acer.com? I mean: Chipset driver is imho a bit misleading etc.

• LeonardK
    Options

So, I'm trying to find the drivers on intel's page but it seems that it is made as difficult as it could possibly be.

The intel Chipset: I installed the "intel Chipset Installation Utility" - I think that did work.

SATA AHCI driver: As there is already one shipped with Windows (since Vista, afaik), I think this is hardly needed, but maybe a bit more speedy when using the intel one, so I tried to find one on the intel page (as the drivers here are *very* outdated). But sadly I there is no universial tool for the AHCI drivers from intel, nor is the documentation as thorough as it it should be. I'm actually stuck at detecting my board:

The BoardID utility is outdated and won't detect mine.

The BIOS doesn't display it neither.

I couldn't find anything more than that it is a series 7 (Haswell) one, but intel doesn't provide much information which driver is for what, so I'm stuck here, too.

For the Turbo Boost: Still the same, I don't find any intel drivers for that, only (probably outdated) once that are hosted here.

About USB3.0: Yes, it does work, but there are drivers called "eXtensible host controllers" for UBS3.0 on intel, but just for Windows 7 and before. So, am I guessing correct here, when thinking that since 8+ the drivers are included in Windows (same thing for the Linux kernel, probably). Does the same thing apply to Turbo Boost, maybe?

• LeonardK
    Options

Just found out that my Maniboard is a "VA50_HC_CR" which is an Acer one. But I suppose that it is actually only a branded intel one, as it has the SATA AHCI controller on it.