Decreased performance on Aspire E5-511-P0GC when given charger is plugged in only.

Options
Ambyli
Ambyli Member Posts: 2 New User

I've ran into a running issue where my computer's (Aspire E 15 or E5-511-P0GC) has a performance drop in CPU frequency only when I plug in my computer's given charger that came with my computer.

I've already tried updating my BIOS to the newest version, performed computer resets and restarts, run anti-virus programs such as MalwareBytes and Avast, and checked my power settings (where everything was set on high performance no matter what).

I've recently bought the product about a month ago and have been trying to solve the problem for awhile now, so this is my first post in trying to get help.

What I've noticed occurs is a drop in CPU frequency from its typical 118% percent on high performance battery settings to a 22% still on the same high performance battery settings. I viewed this change in windows resource monitor when I unplug and plug in my charger.

So if anyone has any idea what may be the cause then I would love the help in trying to solve this issue.

(btw, I own other laptops and none of them have the same problem)

Those who think its a intel speedstep process then why would my laptop perform worse when I plug it in when speedstep is suppose to do the opposite to preserve the batteries life span. Plus I can't find a way to disable speedstep if my laptop has it as my BIOS is basically locked and there are no advance settings.

Edit: OS on my system is Windows 8.1

Answers

• Ryanrr
    Ryanrr Member Posts: 831 Practitioner WiFi Icon
    Options

Ambyli,

I grabbed a similar model and was not able to duplicate what you are describing if I am understanding you correctly. I went into the power options and set both on battery and plugged in to "High Performance", then open the resource manager to watch the CPU utilization. As for the % of CPU utilized that is always going to vary depending on the demands of the CPU and what is needed. Also the speed, even with High Performance enabled, will vary. I noticed those two numbers fluctuate regardless if it was plugged in or on battery power.

I am not trying to dismiss your concern, just giving you my results and I did not see similar so I would recommend you contacting technical support if you feel you have a hardware defect.

• Ambyli
    Ambyli Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

Alright thanks, ill look into that.

• ryobigirl
    ryobigirl Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

I have an Aspire  E1-510P-4459 and I have the same issue, everything runs fantastic when I am just running on the battery power.  The minute I plug it in with the charger it came with, bam it hangs us so bad I have to just shut it off and walk away until the battery if fully charged again.  I have done some surfing to find answers to this issue, and have noticed it is a pretty common problem!  But no answer to fix it, at least not one that is put into simple terms.