Deciding the best OS to install on a Acer 7720

Options
quovadisuk
quovadisuk Member Posts: 22 New User

I have this Acer 7720 laptop which I did at some stage upgrade to windows 7 ultimate , which took out the factory partion to enable a factory reset .. I am not to worried as these were shipped with Vista . however although it does work OK , the problem is that its quits sluggish, looses wireless quite often or signal is so low (yet the router is only 2 metres away ) graphics are poor especially when streaming or using skype for example, keeps breaking up or out of sinc or delayed ( my other laptop is fine using the same internet link . )   I contacted Acer as to the best way forward and they say they dont recommend upgrading as this was designed to work with vista and there may be compatibility issues with upgrades . and if upgrades are done then its hould be done with support of a technician . Whilst I appreciate Acer's concern in ensuring they dont wish to support upgrades that may not work or not installed correctly , I dont particulary wish to stay in the dark ages by reverting to VISTA again ... Is there anyone out there who is knowleable in these units who could advice me the best way to proceed ? Is it to clear all and jump to 8.1 or 10? are there issues with this unit ?  Are there links I could follow to ensure a smooth transition to more reliable , and snappy OS ...?? any suggestions or links would be appreciatted ... regards Paul

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,575 Trailblazer
    Options

Windows 7 should be fine. How much RAM is installed? Do you have a way to check your router on another machine? Have you considered replacing your HDD with an SSD?

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ