Corrupt Recovery Hard Drive or it is missing...?

TheBear
TheBear Member Posts: 3 New User

Hello,

I gave my Acer Netbook to my Son over the weekend so that he could reinstall everything again because I was having some issues and it was running like a snail. However, he rang me yesterday and said there is either no recovery or it has been deleted or its corrupt.

This is what he said that he has done. It is over my head and I don't understand but he said maybe the community will. This is what he said below.

==================================================================================================

MS-DOS

DISKPART

List Volume

Looking through DiskPart there should be at least 4 partitions and there is only 3 of therefore the recovery partition is missing. How this has happened I do not know because my fathers knowledge of computers isn't that wonderful. For him to delete a hidden partition which can only be deleted via DiskPart because it is a hidden partition is a complete mystery.

Volume 0 - C------------NTFS-------------------BOOT

Volume 1 - RECOVERY NTFS-------------------HIDDEN (Missing)*

Volume 2 - --------------FAT32------------------SYSTEM

Volume 3 - SYSTEM RECOVERY-----------------SYSTEM

Is there Recovery Media that I can buy and reinstalled the OS. Other than that what I could do is run Clean in DiskPart and clear the HDD and I have a licenced Windows 7 Ultimate 86 and 64 bit. I could create a bootable USB and run a clean install. But I would need to download all the drivers beforehand for the netbook.

* The Recovery Drive partition is missing therefore, there is no viable way of recovering the Netbook back to factory settings because it no longer exists. Therefor the only way to recover or reinstall the OS is for me to either get hold of a recovery media or I reinstall a clean install of Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 for which I have licenced disc that I could install. But I would require all the drivers beforehand otherwise I would not be able to reinstate the Netbook back to a state of normality.

==================================================================================================

Best Answer

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓

Acer recovery media
    if you are in the US you can buy it:
    http://store.acer.com/store/aceramer/en_US/eRecovery

if you are outside the US, you must call/email your regional Acer support service:
    http://www.acer.com/worldwide/support/

or to download drivers if you go for a clean install:

http://us.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/support

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • TheBear

Thank you for that...

I'm from UKGB but than you for the links most appreciated. Not sure what has happend. I wouldn't have a clue where to find anything like what has happend. My Son is an IT Service Desk Analyst and hes' the one with the computerknowledge.

Again thank you.

• TheBear

All sorted now.

My Son had a spare Windows 8.1 license disc so he installed this and then upgraded it to Windows 10. And to be honest the spec of the Netbook was a little on the low side and I was apprehensive to whether or not it was going to work. It was a little wayward to start of with but once he updated the BIOS and firmware for the Hard Drive it is running like a dream. In fact it is better than before because it hasn't got all that ACER ***** installed...

Thank you for the link and it's all working fine now thanks to my Son. And with your help for drivers, for which I deeply appreciate it. 

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

You welcome. Smiley Happy

I'm not an Acer employee.