Cloudbook 14 431 os downgrade, success?

Options
espiralroja
espiralroja Member Posts: 2 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

I've get a cloudbook 14 (AO1-431-C258) with 32gb sdd and 2gb ram. Ok, for me these numbers are ok, I save my docs in a external 500gb drive and I have a NAS. I still remember the times running w95 with 16mb ram, my first upgrade to 48mb... (!)

However, 32gb seems a very low space for windows 10. I've done a cleanup, try ccleaner and hey, I haven't downloaded anything yet, but in this first power on I have 19gb of used space and 9,5 free. That's crazy, isn't it?

I would consider install windows xp and use this pc for my main needs: word, chat, mail, browse. My question is very simple: there are available drivers for the hardware of this laptop??? I've checked some, but I would thank anyone with this info before getting into a downgrade like this!

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,687 Trailblazer
    Options

Not with WinXP. You might get limited functionality with Win7. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• espiralroja
    espiralroja Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

I expected an answer like that, JackE. But said this this way is somehow categorical so, what devices are really not supported by XP? The makers don't provide drivers for any device? which ones?

I'm also considering the option of installing a Linux distro so, experiences of people that have done so will be welcome. It's interesting to know what distro has been tested in this laptop.

As a last resort I would get a lite version of win 10 and then cut down to the maximum after install, disable updates and go on with that.

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,687 Trailblazer
    Options

Sorry, can't offer definitive WinOS-specific driver answer for each device. My opinion is based on driver-availability experience for many laptops that came with factory-installed Win7 or later. Except for a few devices, like bluetooth, ***fully*** functional drivers just aren't available for WinVista and earlier WinOSes. But, if your erecovery partition is left intact, you can probably safely experiment with WinXP downgrading to see if you can live with it. And you're also probably safest with Ubuntu due to it being successfully installed on this particular machine according to the linux message boards. Jack E/NJ   

Jack E/NJ

• Mik2600
    Mik2600 Member Posts: 4 New User
    Options

The devices that are no supported by xp are the newest things like skylake / kabylake / ryzen.

The only thing that downgrading would be bad with is security.