Changing hard drives in Acer Aspire

Options
Eichall
Eichall Member Posts: 31 Enthusiast WiFi Icon

I have 2 old Acer Aspire notebooks - one is an old 725 with a smashed screen and keyboard but still ploughs on gamely with an external screen and an external keyboard. The second is a more modern 722 with a failed hard drive but otherwise in good condition.

I want to swap the drives over so that I have at least one good working portable laptop but when I put the 725 drive (with W7) into the 722 (which had W8) I have the error message "no bootable device present". The drive is being picked up in the BIOS though.

Anyone any suggestions as to how I can make the 722 recognise the drive and fire up properly?

Answers

• Shinichy_Kudo
    Shinichy_Kudo Member Posts: 355 Skilled Practitioner WiFi Icon
    Options

Good morning.

As previously you had said that you have a hard drive running and the other is damaged and you want to make the change discs.

I recommend you find the manual for your product, this manual you will find information on how to open the product and change the hard disk.

In Google you can search "As my Acer Aspire uncover XXXX" and other user information you have possibly opened the same model and have changed the hard drive should appear.

After you get a bootable USB stick with Windows for you to make the system installation.

I hope you find it useful the informacón, you have good day. Greetings! Smiley Very Happy

• Eichall
    Options

"

Good morning.

If you want to change Duro than Disco is good for no longer serves, the thing to do is uncover the equipment, for that you need conserguir manual online for your product and open for you to do it correctly and it is not damaged.

Changing discs by serving and you get a bootable USB stick with Windows and perform the installation.

I hope you find it useful the informacón, you have good day. Greetings! Smiley Very Happy"

Thanks for the reply and while I appreciate the effort that you went to, I'm not sure that I understand you.

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Options

windows 8 machines has UEFI normally, so you can't boot Windows 7 installations without switching UEFI to Legacy.

by the way, some laptops have issues on drivers (mostly touchpads and VGAs) when switched to Legacy from UEFI.

add that switching HDD with an installation cumstomized to another laptop, it's not the best way, so....

in my opinion, switch the HDD but re-install windows 8 on it.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • Eichall
    Options

Thanks everyone for the help. Looks as if it's a much more complicated situation that I was first expecting.

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Options

You welcome. Smiley Happy

I'm not an Acer employee.