Cannot Restore to Factory Defaults

Options
papparuff
papparuff Member Posts: 3 New User
edited March 2023 in 2014 Archives

System: Aspire 5552, Model Pew76: I'm attempting to restore the default software using the System and Recover Software. Everything goes fine until after Running the Language disk. The installation hangs at 99%. Here's what the Restore Progress displays:

Elapsed time: 12:31:18

Restoring system: 100%

Updating system: 99%

Why does the installation hang at 99%?

papparuff

Answers

• philetus
    philetus ACE Posts: 4,759 Pathfinder
    Options

Did you let it try for 12.5 hrs?

• papparuff
    Options

Absolutely. I first tried to do a repair but I got the same hangup. So I decided to do a clean restore.

• philetus
    philetus ACE Posts: 4,759 Pathfinder
    Options

That would have been my next suggestion.

• papparuff
    Options

Perhaps I've not clearly stated my problem. I tried to perform a Restore the operating system (leaving my files intact) but after inserting the Language DVD, the installation seemed to have stopped at 99% "Updating System" and 100% "Restoring System".

I then attempted a Default install (wiping the hard-drive clean and starting from scratch), and I have the same issue. After inserting the Language DVD, the installation seemed to have stopped at 99% "Updating System" and 100% "Restoring System". As of this moment. the installation has been running for 21.5 hours and the installation is still not finished.

What might cause the installation to hang at 99% complete?

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Options

if you press left CTRL+SHIFT+Esc

are you able to open the task manager?

probably there's some software hanging or with an hidden popup, try also to press the windows key logo.

I'm not an Acer employee.