Can you remove the Windows.old folder from Acer One 1-431 and still use the Acer recovery tool?

WithingtonUK
WithingtonUK Member Posts: 1 New User

I have just upgraded my Acer One 1-431 with the latest Windows 10 update and it has left my hard drive with only 4GB spare. 

As you can imagine I am keen to free up space on the drive, as i have not even installed any software other than these updates, and have seen posts about removing the Windows.old folder that is located on the drive, currently containing 20GB worth of data, following the upgrade.

My question however, as it seems the info isnt anywhere, is if I remove this folder correctly can i still use the Acer Recovery management tool to reset the laptop back to factory settings if i encounter problems in the future.

Thanks in advance

Answers

• bmfb1980
    bmfb1980 Member Posts: 2 New User

From what I understand, Windows10 will automagically delete that folder once you go past the "point of no return" where it will not let you roll back to a prior OS.  I think it's 30 days?

Also from what I gather, I dont' think that any of the factory Acer tools will work if you upgrade to windows10, so you might want to consider backing everything up a different route.

Bottom line with ANY laptop you purchase:  it is always wise to stick with the OS that came with it.  Laptops are designed with a particular OS in mind, and once you "upgrade" you run the risk of things not working anymore, and losing functionality.... it not immediately then maybe a few months down the road when an "update" of the new OS or some other software you install completely unhinges something.  If you still want to upgrade your OS, then ALWAYS create a full disk image of everything before the upgrade so you can reverse any changes made, should your laptop start acting funny or quit playing nice.

Daily backups are a pain, but they might save you some major headache...

I'd back up the entire disk image, then delete the folder and see what happens, if it were my machine.  I think Acronis has software that lets you take that kind of backup image (and restore from it).  Or maybe try to create some full restore DVD's from your Acer tools if they still work.