Can't find a driver for my Extensa 5620! Help!

Options
Cyberherbalist
Cyberherbalist Member Posts: 5 New User
edited March 2023 in 2014 Archives

After upgrading my Extensa 5620 to Win 7, the Mass Storage Controller has lost its driver!

I've done some searching on the Acer website, but this driver doesn't seem to be available there.  I cannot access my DVD drive, probably because of this.  Does anyone know where I can find it?

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Options

Open Device Manager by clicking the Start button, clicking Control Panel, clicking System and Security, and then, under System, clicking Device Manager.
    If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

Where you see the Yellow exclamation mark, double click it, choose "Details" tab, from the dropdown menu choose "HardwareIDs", click the first string and copy/paste it here.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • Cyberherbalist
    Options

That number is:  PCI\VEN_104C&DEV_803B&SUBSYS_011F1025&REV_00

• Cyberherbalist
    Options

That does explain why I was having trouble reading SD cards on this laptop.  I thought it was a problem with the SD cards themselves.  Anyway, I've just installed that driver.  Now, on to the DVD problem...

• IronFly
    Options

What kind of issue, do you have with the DVD?

• Cyberherbalist
    Options

IronFly, thanks for your response -- got my card reader straightened out at least.

It occurred to me that I ought to checkout the CMOS setup, so I restarted and hit F2 at the appropriate time to bring it up.  I saw that setup did in fact feature the DVD drive, so the machine at least knew there was one of those there.  I did find that the boot order included, in order, C:, then D:, then the DVD.  Since D: contains data only I thought that was odd.  So I moved the DVD to position 2 in the boot order (it should probably be in #1, actually).  I then saved setup and proceeded to boot Windows.

When I checked Windows Explorer this time, the DVD drive was showing up.  Very peculiar.  I can't see how changing the boot order would do anything as to visibility.  But perhaps looking fixed the problem, in itself.  Seems quite a stretch, though.

Anyway, my DVD drive is now showing up.

• Cyberherbalist
    Options

The DVD drive was not showing up in Windows Explorer.  I had put a DVD with Office into it, but the drive was invisible.

Like I said, for some reason I can see it now.

• IronFly
    Options

ok, glad you fixed! Smiley Happy