Can I add memory to my Aspire One, or not??

Options
wilberfan
wilberfan Member Posts: 9

Tinkerer

edited March 2023 in 2014 Archives

I have the Aspire One D255 Intel Atom N450 netbook.   I ordered a 2GB module from Amazon Market place--but when I installed it, it was a BSOD Festival.

Crucial tech support says the one I ordered should work, suggested I return it and try another one.  I just ordered the OTHER model direct from Crucial (there are two that Crucial says will work)--but now I'm wondering if this netbook IS upgradable...

Can anyone confirm whether or not this netbook will run 2GB of memory??  I have a sinking feeling I'm chasing my tail, trying to  upgrade this particular netbook...  :-/

Best Answer

• Sharanji
    Sharanji ACE Posts: 4,327 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    Options

Yes, this is specific limitation of that particular version of operating system (windows 7 starter).

Other versions of windows 7 like Home Basic, Home Premium, Professional, Enterprise versions support 2 GB memory.

Click the Kudos  to say “Thanks” for helping!

Answers

• Sharanji
    Options

This model supports up to 1 GB of DDR2 system memory (for Windows® 7 Starter for small notebook PCs)
    Up to 2 GB of DDR2 system memory (for other operating systems)

Since your computer is shipped with Intel® Atom™ processor N450, this model supports Single-channel DDR2 SDRAM support with one soDIMM module

It has one DIMM socket number and supports memory size per socket 2 GB

The maximum memory supported is 2 GB with DIMM type DDR II 667Mhz SDRAM, voltage 1.8V and  DIMM package type is 200-pin

• wilberfan

Tinkerer

Options

Well, I have to admit, I didn't expect that answer!

You're saying it will support Windows 7 Starter only up to 1GB??    Is that a specific limitation of that particular OS?

If I want to run the max 2GB, I have to install a different OS?   What other choices would there be?   I'm thinking, what,  Windows 7 (which is bigger than I need), perhaps XP (probably not very secure anymore)...or some flavor of Linux?? (Lubuntu, maybe.)  Are there any others? 

• Sharanji
    Answer ✓
    Options

Yes, this is specific limitation of that particular version of operating system (windows 7 starter).

Other versions of windows 7 like Home Basic, Home Premium, Professional, Enterprise versions support 2 GB memory.

• wilberfan

Tinkerer

Options

Good to know, thanks.

I managed to get Lubuntu 14.10 installed late last night..and it seems very peppy--and uses practically no RAM whatsoever!

:-)