Can I add a larger hard drive to an Aspire 1-131?

jnhornick
jnhornick Member Posts: 3 New User

I am looking to add hard drive space or even a larger hard drive but not sure if it is possible.

Best Answer

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓

if you mean Cloudbook 1-131 (AO1-131), you can't; the actual SSD is soldered to motherboad.

I'm not an Acer employee.

Answers

• IronFly
    Answer ✓

if you mean Cloudbook 1-131 (AO1-131), you can't; the actual SSD is soldered to motherboad.

• jnhornick

Btw - do you have an suggestions on a cheap acer.  I'm just using it when I travel; but definitely need more than 32gb of memory.  Windows itself basically fills that.

Thanks for your suggestion.

• IronFly

i think near all the cheap laptops have the soldered 32GB eMMC, so it's not easy to find one with additional storage.

you need to spend at least 300$

by the way, you can try a "workaround" first, buy a big and fast SDXC card and use it as additional storage:

http://www.howtogeek.com/234998/how-to-install-apps-to-an-sd-card-or-another-drive-on-windows-10/

i suggest you to go to an electronic shop and ask about a good SDXC but ask one with a shorter profile or it will rest out of your laptop side for about  0.4 inch

just remember to format it as NTFS, right click the SDXC icon on My computer and choose format, then select NTFS.

• jnhornick

Thanks for the details!  I'll give it a try!

• IronFly

You welcome.