Nickhamm Member Posts: 10 New User
edited March 2023 in 2015 Archives

Acer Timeline X 3830T 13.3" laptop

Intel Core i3-2310M 2.1ghz CPU

4GB DDR3 Memory

500GB WD Black HDD

Intel HD Graphics 3000

Windows 8.1 Pro

The CPU is stuck at 0.78Ghz and a Prime95 run doesn't raise it and only eats 38% of my CPU in task manager (should use 100%.) CPU is running at 40 / 43 degrees Celsius idle / under load. I updated the BIOS, reset all defaults. Reset all power profiles in Windows. I tried another power cord from an identical Timeline laptop, different power presets in Windows and nothing changes it. I even tried a Linux LiveCD to test if it was a Windows issue and it gave the same results with underclocking the CPU. The computer runs slow and GeekBench proves it's running way under where it should be (in both Windows and Linux.)

Any ideas would be appreciated because I am stumped.

Best Answer

• Nickhamm
    Answer ✓
    Options

When I got a notification about this post today I was bit surprised since this problem was from 2015. Anyway, instead of leatting another dead thread float on the internet, I figured I would post what happened.

Eventually after running slow for several months, one day the laptop turned off and refused to turn back on. Trying a different charger did nothing, and it was dead, so I tore it apart and tried to find the problem. On the top of the motherboard, one of the chips looked burned out with a burnt pattern around it on the motherboard. I would guess that either a faulty chip or poor voltage regulation from the wall outlet caused this and effectively burned out the motherboard. The laptop has been recycled and replaced.

Thread closed.

Answers

• Alan-London
    Alan-London ACE Posts: 793 Pioneer
    Options

Try running 'CPU-Z' which should provide accurate and real-time info on your CPU:

http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html

The i3-2310M does not employ Turbo Boost Technology so should always run at 2.10GHz.
    I don't believe there are any BIOS parameters to allow altering of clock speeds. If the reported CPU and bus speeds are correct but the CPU speed is incorrect then the processor may be damaged.

• Nickhamm
    Options

Here's what CPU-Z gives me:

CPU-Z

• Alan-London
    Alan-London ACE Posts: 793 Pioneer
    Options

Your picture shows a multiplier of 8. Normally, this would be 21 giving full CPU speed of 2.10GHz.

It appears to me that the CPU is throttled. Dropping to 8 (which I think is the lowest it will go) suggests to me that your CPU is overheating. You may like to run something like 'HWMonitor' to check temperatures:

http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

If you are playing 'heavy' games, that may explain the problem. Your vents and fan may also be clogged so it may be worth giving them a clean. Not sure where the vents are on your model but ensure that they are not obstructed.

• Nickhamm
    Options

I already used a can of compressed air to clean out the fan and vents on the laptop. The laptop runs like this just doing simple things like word processing, and while it did play games in the past (not anymore due to the speed issue), it wasn't often or for long periods.

Here is what HWMonitor gave me:

11204692_10207037202434911_63258240_o.jpg

• trettet
    trettet Member Posts: 20

Tinkerer

Options

Hi OP. I'm an Acer user too, having the same problem but not exactly (my i7 4510u only uses 80% of it's capacity vs 2.8ghz or higher frequencies) I figured out what was wrong, it was because of me using non-verified Acer drivers (using drivers directly from INTEL and nVidia) so I reinstalled my entire OS (it didn't come with Windows 8 but Linpus) and everything is now working perfectly well! It could also be an issue with a Windows Update Patch but for me, I reinstalled the system losing all windows updates and using Acer drivers, the clocks are now back to normal!

• Nickhamm
    Options

I will try to clear all my drivers and use the ones provided on Acer's website and report back, but I am still concerned this won't work because I ran the same benchmarks in Ubuntu Linux and found the machine to be severely overclocked and gettign the same lousy geekbench score.

• Nickhamm
    Options

I did a clean install with the drivers officially from Acer's support page and the CPU is still locked at 0.78Ghz and computer is slow.  Temperatures test pretty much the same (+/- 2 or so degrees.)

Any other ideas?

• trettet

Tinkerer

Options
    are you running on battery or without battery? And to double check ur running the high performance profile by default?
  • Nickhamm
    Options

Running on High Performance profile, plugged in.

• trettet

Tinkerer

Options

you've got to have a battery on the laptop plug-in or not for it to work properly.

• Nickhamm
    Options

I do have a battery and it is charged. The computer is equally slow running off the battery and while plugged in.

• trettet

Tinkerer

Options

can you run prime95 with hardware monitor, and provide me a screenshot

and please do run on battery with the AC Adapter Plugged in (DO NOT TAKE THE BATTERY OUT) - for testing purposes

• Nickhamm
    Options

Here's the laptop, Prime95 running, unplugged, with HWMonitor.

11194894_10207070577709272_1835146644_o.jpg

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Options

Hi Nickhamm,

your CPU VID doesn't look good, since MIN and MAX has the same value.

can you please check on Power options, (change plane settings) from your plan, change advanced power settings

scroll down on the new windows and check on processor power management, minimum and maximum processor state.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • Nickhamm
    Options

Sorry for the delay, but I checked and they are at 5%/100% as shown:

PowerOptions.jpg

• yuriyboika
    yuriyboika Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

hi,i have same problem,VID is runing low,and also Hgz stck on 0.78 

this is the charger problem. may replace it. it doesnt give u enought voltage i think xD in 2 daays i recive my new charger lets see if worked out

• Nickhamm
    Answer ✓
    Options

When I got a notification about this post today I was bit surprised since this problem was from 2015. Anyway, instead of leatting another dead thread float on the internet, I figured I would post what happened.

Eventually after running slow for several months, one day the laptop turned off and refused to turn back on. Trying a different charger did nothing, and it was dead, so I tore it apart and tried to find the problem. On the top of the motherboard, one of the chips looked burned out with a burnt pattern around it on the motherboard. I would guess that either a faulty chip or poor voltage regulation from the wall outlet caused this and effectively burned out the motherboard. The laptop has been recycled and replaced.

Thread closed.