CAN I HAVE A BROKEN USB PORT REPAIRED BY ACER?

Options
CLJ13
CLJ13 Member Posts: 7 New User

Greetings I own an Acer Aspire E1-571-6471.  Yesterday for some reason the USB ports on my right side (2) failed and the usb port on my left side failed.  I have ruled out all the options, and it is mechanical failure.  The ports themselves do not look damaged but I am getting no power or data feed on any of them.  My laptop still functions fine.  The hard drive etc.  

How much would it cost to have this repaired? I would need to have the ports replaced on either side.  I am not sure how this happened.  My laptop has seen light useage since I purchased it and it has rarely seen internet use either.

Assuming the ports aren't physically broken - how much would it cost to fix this problem?  

How come the ports on both sides failed? I placed a usb stick in gently.  I honestly treat my computers well.  I use this PC for leisure use.  How much am I looking at to have it repaired? I got a great deal on this laptop and I don't want to buy another one.  

Thanks in advance for all of your help.

Answers

• terenz
    terenz Member Posts: 15 New User
    Options

Just curious why you think it is physical damage.  Under the Device Manager, are the USB ports reporting being o.k. (no ! in a yellow circle of triangle)?

Short of replacing the MB, I doubt you can repair the USB ports if there is physical damage.

As a (very) last resort, you could consider putting the MB in a hot oven to repair hariline solder cracks that may be causing the problem.

• CLJ13
    Options

They are showing up on the Device Manager as functioning correctly.  I can't see any physical damage either.  No bent teeth.  But I am getting no data or power feed. Would this be a usb chipset issue? what are the other trouble shooting options I might be missing?

I take it the oven thing is more of a joke right? lol

• terenz
    terenz Member Posts: 15 New User
    Options

How about uninstalling the USB port drivers under Device Manager, rebooting and trying again?  Can't hurt if you haven't done that yet.  If you have a spare HD, try a fresh OS install on it and see if anything changes?  If nothing, then you can be pretty sure it is hardware and expensive to fix.

Oven thing, I am skeptical about too but faced with MB replacement......

• CLJ13
    Options

I tried everything last night.  It has to be a physical & internal issue.  I don't understand.  How could this happen? This laptop has not been abused at all. It's been used lightly and never on the internet.  My Acer Iconia Tablet lasted only 7 months before the screen flickered and died.  They couldn't repair it properly - they just kept saying they repaired it and sent it back.

What is going on with Acer products? I am hesitant to even send it into them to have it repaired. I found a site that sells the parts that I may need.  It looks like the ports are integrated into the mobo.