Black Screen Acer Apire 5738 - Bios .fd ?

Options
Lefteris
Lefteris Member Posts: 2 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

Hello everyone,

all of a shudden i get nothing on the screen when the laptop powers up.
I can hear HDD to spin, the fan, DVD-ROM opens, i have power on usb ports, battery charges but there is nothing on the screen, even if i connect it to an external monitor.
I tried to remove HDD and RAM but nothing changes..still nothing on screen.

I googled it and i found that is might related to bios problem.
I found a method for flashing bios via usb on boot using an .fd file, but there is no way i can found that .fd file in the files a download from acer website (https://global-download.acer.com/GDFiles/BIOS/BIOS/BIOS_Acer_1.34_A_A.zip).

Can anyone help me with that?

*any advice and suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,478 Trailblazer
    Options

Did you try to turn on both the lid & external screens with the Fn+F6 and Fn+F5 toggle key combos? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Lefteris
    Lefteris Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

Thanks for the reply jackE, but it isn't a screen problem.
    Anyway i tried your suggestion but no luck.

I tried flashing bios using CRISDISK utility and the .wph file from dos folder of downloaded bios (phoenix bios uses .wph file not .fd), but it seems i can't get into bios recovery using FN+ESC keys.

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,478 Trailblazer
    Options

Google "Phoenix Bios Recovery" with the quotes. Then re-try/re-do the flash starting from scratch following those directions thru the its own downloadable WinCris.exe link. The WinCris.exe boot creator must be run in WinXP SP3 mode. We have evidence that the Fn+B or Win+B must be used in some machines instead of Fn+Esc. Don't ask me why.

Your WinCris.exe-created FAT bootable stick should only have these 3 files --- Phlash16.exe, minidos.sys and BIOS.WPH with the BIOS.WPH being overwritten with either the re-named WPH, ROM, BIN or FD extension files you found in the DOS subdirectory of the ACER bios download. If the WPH doesn't work again, then try the other extensions with the same name.  And don't forget to try the other Fn+ boot key combos with each renamed BIOS files.

Make sure you do a *frigid* boot. Meaning shut down, remove the battery & charger. Then press & hold the power button without the battery & charger for a minute or so. Then re-insert the battery & charger. Then the bootable stick. Press & hold the Fn+Esc or Fn+B or Win+B bootkey combos. Then press the power button. If or when you see any boot stick LED activity, you can then let go of the bootkeys. The machine may or may not shutdown or re-start after any bootstick LED activity stops.  It may just sit there like nothing's happened. In this case, press & hold the power button till it shuts off. Then re-start and hope for the best. 

It's gonna take a while to go thru the combinations. And you may still come up with a disabled machine. The BIOS crisis recovery is really a last-resort method. if it fails, it may mean that either the boot section of the BIOS chip has been irreparably damaged or, in your case, the graphics adapters may have failed.

Good luck

Jack E/NJ         

Jack E/NJ