Battery Drains, "Freezes" HDD

prenger745
prenger745 Member Posts: 1 New User

Hello all,

I have a laptop that was brought to me with a setting in the bios "HDD Password is:  Frozen".  (This user has NEVER set any bios passwords at all).  It will not boot to Windows at all but it does recognize the HDD in the Bios.  After reading about it for a bit, I tried removing the hdd while in the bios to reset it, but it didn't work.  As a last resort, I ran a windows startup repair.  It reported that it found no issues but upon reboot, Windows loaded fine and the HDD password was set to "Clear"

The next day, the owner of the laptop called and said it was doing the same thing.  This time though, he reported that with both times, he had accidentally fallen asleep without the laptop plugged into the wall.  So the battery drains and when you plug it back in and boot, the HDD Password is "Frozen".  Running another Windows Starup repair, reported no issues found, but was able to boot right up after that.

I have checked, and the bios is at the most recent version.

Any help would be appreciated.

Dan

Answers

• Blayn-Acer
    Blayn-Acer Administrator Posts: 2,355 Community Administrator

Dan,

I apologize for the delayed reply. We have created content that should help resolve this issue, if you are still having it. Please see instructions on the link below.

http://acer.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/32674

• aiwaller
    aiwaller Member Posts: 2 New User

Hi,

I have an Aspire 5750 (WD 500gb HDD), same issue with battery drain until powering itself off and HDD Password 'FROZEN' thereafter - It just set itself to FROZEN, I have never set any BIOS passwords myself. Tried everything, including the Acer Customer help link in this thread, removing CMOS etc. etc. and finally Acer's "Clean Password" utility - nothing will remove 'FROZEN' HDD Password.

One Acer 'Technician' told me that the HDD password, these days, is stored in the PCB on the hard drive itself, which, if repaced (PCB not a totally new HDD), should fix the problem? Any thoughts??

Why just letting the battery drain should cause this HDD Frozen problem, I have no idea!! One would think it should be a fairly simple thing to reset???

Any ideas would be very welcome!!

Thanks.

• aiwaller
    aiwaller Member Posts: 2 New User
    Does anyone know how to fix the above?? I have had my HDD locked now for 2 months - very frustrating!
    I haven't had any response to my cries for help above!!
    Thanks - hoping!
  • Blayn-Acer
    Blayn-Acer Administrator Posts: 2,355 Community Administrator

If you get a message that the hard drive is Frozen, try the steps on http://acer.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/32674.