BIOS update for Aspire One AO756

Options
eric212
eric212 Member Posts: 3 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

Hello, I'm trying to find if there is a proper BIOS update available for my Aspire One AO756. I found the page on acer.com where the update would be, and there is one version that is newer than mine but it reads:

"Date: 2014/04/07 Version: 2.21: BIOS - UEFI for Windows 8 (not for upgrades)"

I am currently using BIOS version 2.08 from 2012/11/06

What exactly does it mean when the newer BIOS version says "not for upgrades"? This PC came with Windows 8 but has been upgraded to Windows 10 ver 10.0.14393 Build 14393. I'm assuming this newer BIOS version shouldn't be used since my computer was upgraded to windows 10 but I just wanted to ask to make sure that was really the case. It kinda doesn't make sense to me because I'm already using windows 10 on the older (original) BIOS version.

Thanks for any info!

Eric

Acer Aspire One AO756

Intel HM70 Chipset

Pentium 987

8 GB RAM (upgraded from 4 GB)

500 GB HDD

Best Answer

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options

your laptop has 2.xx BIOS version so it's ok to update using any 2.xx BIOS version.

2.21 is good.

How can i understand which version i need to download?

Laptop versions:
    1.xx can only be updated using 1.xx versions
    2.xx can only be updated using 2.xx versions (normally 2.xx version are labeled "not for upgrades")

Desktop versions:
    P01.xx can only be updated using P01.xx versions
    P11.xx can only be updated using P11.xx versions (normally P11.xx version are labeled "*not for upgrades")

"L" BIOS versions are Linux OS dedicated (example P01.xxL)

* what does it mean "not for upgrades"?
    During the windows 7 to 8 transition, some PC models had different BIOS versions from factory, related to the installed OS.
    Windows 8 PC got an UEFI BIOS
    Windows 7 PC got a "Legacy" BIOS

So PC with Windows 7 installed from factory can't use the "not for upgrades" BIOS version, even if they were upgraded to Windows 8 or 10, since the factory BIOS was a different version compared to PC with Windows 8 from factory.

I'm not an Acer employee.

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options

your laptop has 2.xx BIOS version so it's ok to update using any 2.xx BIOS version.

2.21 is good.

How can i understand which version i need to download?

Laptop versions:
    1.xx can only be updated using 1.xx versions
    2.xx can only be updated using 2.xx versions (normally 2.xx version are labeled "not for upgrades")

Desktop versions:
    P01.xx can only be updated using P01.xx versions
    P11.xx can only be updated using P11.xx versions (normally P11.xx version are labeled "*not for upgrades")

"L" BIOS versions are Linux OS dedicated (example P01.xxL)

* what does it mean "not for upgrades"?
    During the windows 7 to 8 transition, some PC models had different BIOS versions from factory, related to the installed OS.
    Windows 8 PC got an UEFI BIOS
    Windows 7 PC got a "Legacy" BIOS

So PC with Windows 7 installed from factory can't use the "not for upgrades" BIOS version, even if they were upgraded to Windows 8 or 10, since the factory BIOS was a different version compared to PC with Windows 8 from factory.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • eric212
    Options

IronFly: Thank you for your response, that clears it up perfectly. I will upgrade the BIOS to the newer version.

Eric Smiley Very Happy

• eric212
    Options

just wanted to stop back and say that I updated the BIOS and everything went smoothly. I had been having some trouble with the computer freezing on startup before windows even started to load. I know this is when the BIOS is in action so I thought maybe upgrading it would help. Maybe it's just a coincidence but it hasen't frozen even once since I upgraded it and it used to do it quite frequently. Hopefully that did the trick, If not I'll be back for more questions! Smiley Happy

Thanks!