BIOS Flash for Acer Aspire One 725-0825 Windows 7.

writer
writer Member Posts: 3 New User
edited March 2023 in 2016 Archives

Hi Everyone,

I have what seems to be common problem with the Acer netbooks. My battery is not charging even though the computer is new. I have seen in other online forums that I should "flash the BIOS" by downloading a file from the Acer site. I have gone to the site and have found a BIOS file for Acer Netbook Model 725. The file is BIOS_Acer_1.08_A_A. Is this the correct file for flashing the BIOS? When I open the file to search its contents it has a README file that states: "Windows flash: Please click "ZHG108.EXE.exe" to update bios."

Questions: (1) Is this the correct file for my computer? (2) Should I simply extract the file on the netbook desktop and then double click to activate it? (3) Will this damage my computer in any way? The site says to use at your own risk. I understand that downloading and execting the wrong file or executing it in the wrong way might disable my system. Is there a safer way of correcting this problem? I've already tried the power button and device manager approaches with no luck.

Thanks for any help on this. I just don't want to cause any serious problems. I would like to use my netbook with the battery.

David

Answers

• vtold
    vtold Member Posts: 32

Tinkerer

Hello,

I've just flashed my similar netbook's BIOS (mine is Aspire One 722).

Original BIOS version was 1.08 and that downloaded from Acer site was 1.1

(1) I don't know but if downloaded from Acer I think yes

(2) Mine zip file has 2 folders: 'DOS' and 'Windows'. After unpacking it I went into 'Windows' folder and executed exe file.

(3) There is always possibility of damage when flashing but you have to decide by yourself: flash or not.

If your new BIOS will not resolve your problem then maybe the battery is damaged?

• writer
    writer Member Posts: 3 New User

Thank you for your response. I think the problem is that I didn't know I had to drain the battery three times when I bought the netbook and I didn't actually use the device right away. So now I have this Battery Not Charging warning when I plug it in. I've tried the power button and device manager fixes and they didn't work. So flashing the BIOS seems to be the only option. I just want to make sure I have the right file fo my device and that I am doing it correctly. I have read other messages on this topic by people who wound up with bricked systems after trying this. Not a good thing.

By the way, I'm posting this message here in the lounge because I couldn't find any forum for the Acer netbooks. Apologies if this is not the place to do it. If someone will tell me where the Acer netbook forums are, I will repost there.

If the BIOS flash fails, it doesn't seem there is any way of fixing it. Any help on this is greatly appreciated.

David