BD not playing Bluray disks

Options
vishakhasakhi
vishakhasakhi Member Posts: 2 New User
edited March 2023 in 2014 Archives

I have an Aspire 8940G I bought almost 5 years ago. I got it with an Optiarc BD-ROM BC-5500S. It worked fine for years but for the last 6 months, it won't play Bluray disks. It doesn't even seem to recongnize that there is a disk in the drive if it is a bluray.

I have tried everything that I could find recommended to do but to no avail. It just makes that ba-DUM sound 3 times when I put a bluray disk in and then nothing.

I'm running windows 7 64-bit that I installed as soon as I got the machine. No major changes recently. I've tried MS Fixit, updating driver from sony (doesn't actually work, fails every time and I then have to reboot to get power back to the drive).

I'm thinking that the mechanism that works the laser for the bluray just stopped working and therefore it is not able to read bluray disks anymore.

My question then is can I get any another Optiarc BC-5500S and istall that? Or does it have to be one specifically made for an Aspire 8940G? Maybe I can got one for a Vaio or HP and then change the bezel to fit my aspire 8940G?

Thanks in advance!

Answers

• sathya0403
    Options

Hi vishakhasakhi,

Based on the Issue discribed by you its most likely that the BDD is gone bad, & also there is no special requirements for Acer Laptop as the DVD / BDDs are Universal & the only point to remember is that the ODD on this unit is SATA, make sure you get a Sata BDD,.

• vishakhasakhi
    vishakhasakhi Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

Thanks for the reply!

OK, but I am just wondering that if I get an ODD that is maybe even the same Optiarc BC-5500S but made for a Sony Vaio or HP, won't the bezel be different?

• sathya0403
    Options
    As a last resort have you tried to change the
    select "BD settings"
    Select "region code"
    Select "region B" for the UK,. remember that the region code can be changed only 5 times,.