Audio jack not working on Aspire E15 (model ES1-511-C24N)

mtlwriterguy
mtlwriterguy Member Posts: 4 New User

Hi! This is my second problem with the same Aspire E15 (I posted previously about not being able to disable pinch-zoom on the touchpad).

Now the 3.5 audio jack won't work. The first time I plugged in a set of headphones, I got a pop-up asking me to specify if I was using headphones, a microphone or line-in, and I selected headphones. But it didn't work, and the audio continued playing through the speakers. I've tried plugging in several different sets of headphones, and it's the same with all of them.

Did I somehow accidentally set the audio jack to mic or line-in? If so, I can't figure out how, and I can't find anything in the system settings that would allow me to change it.

I'm assuming that USB headphones would work, but I don't have any and can't really afford the expense right now. It's a brand new computer and I don't understand why some so basic as the headphone jack isn't working. I'm actually really surprised they'd combine the headphone jack with the mic and line-in jacks. Seems like they're overcomplicating something that should be very simple.

Can anyone help, please?

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

with headphones plugged, right click on the speaker icon near clock and date.

choose playback devices

check if headphones are listed, if so right click it and select as default device.

also check on control panel, under audio, if you have any Realtek HD icon, click this and have a check about any settings related to headphones.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • ebaleytherogue
    ebaleytherogue Member Posts: 4 New User

I went to http://www.realtek.com/downloads/downloadsCheck.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=24&PFid=24&Level=4&Conn=3&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false and downloaded the HD drivers, accepted the disclaimer, selected the

32bits Vista, Windows7, Windows8, Windows8.1, Windows10 Driver only (Executable file) R2.79

package, chose 'global' on the far right, downloaded the package, installed the package, restarted the PC. I then went to YouTube, started playing a video, and plugged in my headphones, and voila, they worked for the first time in two years.

Running Windows 10 on an Acer Aspire V5.