Attempting to recover system completely but get message BOOTMGR missing. Where can this be found ?

Options
camonson
camonson Member Posts: 3 New User

Have an Acer Aspire Series 7741Z which totally crashed.  Tried recovering with recover disks starting fresh but only get a message that BOOTMGR is missing and it will not continue.  IS this comething that can be corrected or do I now have to install a whole new OS.  thank you.

Best Answer

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options

my suggestion, if you are not  aware about your personal data, wipe completly the HDD and do a windows 10 clean installation.

it will be way better, you will recover some free space too and your system will run cleaner.

you don't need to input any product key when installing windows 10 (just skip the steps asking for a product key), the first time you will connect to the web, your installation will be authorized (license is stored on microsoft servers)

I'm not an Acer employee.

Answers

• IronFly
    Options

which windows version is installed?

• camonson
    Options

Hello Ironfly

Laptop orginially had win 7 home installed when purchased and then was offered the free upgrade to win 10 which was installed last year.  Probably why there were four different partitions I noticed when attempting to fix crash.  Still have not resolved and still trying.  Still getting same error message as well.  Now trying to format one of the drives to see what happens.  Presume I already lost everything personal anyway so nothing else can be lost at this point except to get it to a stage I can start over and rebuild.  Have purchased win 7 pro when I can get to that point.

Thank you for your response to this. 

• IronFly
    Answer ✓
    Options

my suggestion, if you are not  aware about your personal data, wipe completly the HDD and do a windows 10 clean installation.

it will be way better, you will recover some free space too and your system will run cleaner.

you don't need to input any product key when installing windows 10 (just skip the steps asking for a product key), the first time you will connect to the web, your installation will be authorized (license is stored on microsoft servers)

• camonson
    Options

Hi again IronFly,  thank you for your response and suggestion and I think I will do just as you advised.  Sounds good to me.  thanks gain and have a good one.

• IronFly
    Options

You welcome. Smiley Happy