Aspire vn7-571G: Speakers producing crackling/static noise that is constantly increasing

Artess
Artess Member Posts: 14 New User
edited December 2023 in 2020 Archives

I think I had this problem back when I upgraded to Windows 10, and I solved it. The problem is - I don't remember how.

I had to make a fresh reset of Windows 10 on my laptop, and now I have a problem with my speakers. After some time working on the computer, my left speaker, and only the left one, begins to softly crackle. It sounds like very distant fireworks. As time goes on, the crackling becomes more and more intense, eventually turning into some sort of whirr - like a tiny gnome is drilling my laptop from the inside. There is no vibration of any kind, but eventually the noise is a constant whirring that gets louder and louder, to the point where I genuinely worry that my laptop will explode. This happens especially when I'm playing games that are very demanding from the laptop, but sometimes it just occurs during browsing web or even typing Word documents. Once it starts, there is no stopping it - it gets faster and louder until I turn off the computer, or at least put it into sleep mode. If I plug in headphones, the normal sound switches to them, as expected, but this horrible crackling remains in the left built-in speaker.

I've tried downloading new drivers, I tried deleting Realtek drivers and using Windows defaults, I tried installing older version of the Realtek drivers, I've read that it might be connected to the touchpad and tried disabling the touchpad. The worst thing that I know I solved it some time back - through some kind of magic, probably,  - but I cannot remember how.

Edit: This is what it sounds when it starts. And this is what it sounds once it gets going. This is most definitely not the fan, it's the left speaker.

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,430 Trailblazer

Do you think it might've started after a Win10 update? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Artess

think it initially started when I upgraded from Win 8.1 to Win 10. I was able to somehow fix it back then by tinkering with the drivers, I think, and haven't experienced it for a while. Now that I have made a fresh install of Win 10, the problem is back, and I don't remember how I fixed it in the first place.

• Artess

I have made a recording of how it sounds. Here it is. It's an "early-stage" crackling - if I let it go unchecked (i.e. don't shut down the computer), it gets faster and louder until it's a constant stream of noise. This is how it sounds once it really gets going. This is most certainly not the fan, it's the left speaker.

• JackE

>>>I was able to somehow fix it back then by tinkering with the drivers, I think, and haven't experienced it for a while.>>>

If no Device Mgr issues are displayed, what audio driver version# is shown? Have you tried to let Win10 automatically search for the best audio driver? Have you run Winupdate yet since re-installing Win10? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Artess

The problem persists with both 6.0.1.7564 (July 2015) and 6.0.1.8036 (Jan 2017) Realtek drivers, as well as with the generic Windows High Definition Audio Device driver 10.0.15063.0 (March 2017).

The problem definitely seems to be correlated with the usage of the computer, or possibly its temperature, or fan speeds. If I shut down all games and software and let it cool down, eventually (within 5-15 minutes) the crackling subsides to the point where I can't hear it anymore. However, it doesn't seem to depend on it completely: sometimes it starts after 5 minutes of playing a game, and sometimes after 30 minutes of the same game; and sometimes, though rarely, when I'm not playing at all but the PC is still working at something and the fans are engaged, although at a lower speed. I've checked the temperatures with the CAM software, and it doesn't appear to be overheating.

From my vague recollection of dealing with this problem 1.5 years ago, it had something to do with drivers, but it could've been conflicting with some other drivers. If I've learned one valuable lesson, it's to write down all solutions to weird problems that I find.

Oh, and yes, I ran Windows Update, it says the device is up to date.

• JackE

Assuming it's not a hardware issue and it worked OK for 1.5 years with whatever driver was on the HDD before, have you tried to uninstall the current audio driver ***off-line*** to force the system to detect and use, or to allow you to choose, a driver that's already buried somewhere on the HDD? Jack E/NJ  

Jack E/NJ

• Artess

Doing this reverts them to the 6.0.1.7564 drivers that I have already tried. However, I think I might have found a solution. It appears that a problem might have something to do with the Intel HD Graphics driver. I have reverted it to the oldest driver I had available (August 2015, I think), and I haven't heard the noise yet. I'll need to do more testing for a few more days, but so far it seems that it might be the solution. If the problem doesn't reappear, I'll mark it as such. Thanks for trying to help anyway, I appreciate your suggestions and swift responses!

• JackE

>>>I have reverted it to the oldest driver I had available (August 2015, I think), and I haven't heard the noise yet. >>>

Hope it takes! I had a similar issue with another type of device. While it was a relatively new piece, the driver that seemed to make it work properly was a plain vanilla WinXP-era 2006 flavor. 8^)  Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• Artess

After almost two weeks the problem suddenly reappeared this morning. No hardware or software changes that I'm aware of, the drivers are all on the same versions as I put them when I apparently "fixed" it, and it's as annoying as it was before. Makes me think that the "solution" I found was merely a coincidence =(

[inappropriate content removed]

• JackE

Two possibilities. (1) The old driver you found somehow got corrupted. Try uninstalling/re-installing. Make sure you keep a baciup copy of it someplace else (2) Another Win10update messed things up again. Since it just happened you might want to try the latest restore point that it should've created. Jack E/NJ  

Jack E/NJ

• Artess

Hello there. It's me again. The saga continues, and it's weirder than ever.

So, first of all, I'm fairly certain that the issue is connected to the temperature. Not just the CPU or GPU temp, mind you. The air temperature in the room. I know that's insane, I might be going insane with all this, but for three weeks the problem was gone, and the first day the temperature jumps, it reappears. The crackling starts when I'm playing a game or am using software that warms up the laptop, so there is definitely the combination of the two.

But that's not the weird part. Here is the weird part. I have a USB-powered cooling stand for the laptop, four fans, some unknown brand I found on Amazon. I've had it for almost a year now, and it never caused this issue, until it suddenly started - the day I reinstalled Windows, which made everything even more confusing. And I'm fairly certain that the cooling pad is somehow connected to all this. The issue only occurs when I'm using it. I am suspecting the USB ports might be at fault somehow. But the correlation is not obvious. Here's what happens.

I'm playing a game without the pad. The laptop is very hot, but there is no sign of crackling. I plug in the cooling pad. At first, nothing happens. Then, after about five minutes, it slowly starts crackling, and within ten minutes it's at full force. I disconnect the stand. At first, nothing happens. Then, after about a minute, the crackling starts subsiding, and within five minutes it's gone completely. I tested it about ten times, with different software running, same result every time. The only exception is when I completely disable speakers through Device Manager - no crackling then. I tried connecting the stand to an external source, and the crackling did not appear, further leading me to believe that it's somehow the USB's fault.

Summary: the crackling happens when the surrounding air is hot and the laptop is hot too; and it only seems to happen when the USB cooling stand is pulgged in.

However!!! I distinctly remember having this problem two years ago, long before I had this (or any other) cooling pad. And then I tinkered with drivers and it went away for two years, and returned when I reinstalled Windows; and it might have been a coincidence, but it shows that the pad alone isn't the only problem. Or is it?! I think I might be literally going mad.

• JackE

I suspect the mainboard connectors to and from peripherals probably need to be re-seated a few times to clean connections. Not a trivial task to get at them all. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Artess

Is it something that can be feasibly done at home, or should I seek professional help? The warranty has expired a long time ago.

• JackE

Yes, it's feasible but maybe not the the faint of heart. Google "vn7-571g" "disassembly" with the quotes for videos on accessing various peripheral ribbon connectors and removable boards for your model and similarly-constructed VN7 models. Viewer discretion advised. 8^)

I find that the main issue in trying to do something like this is almost always breaking tight-fitting plastic snaps and removing sticky-tape on the cases, connectors, etc used to help secure them. In other words, they usually don't go back together as neatly or as securely as when they were first assembled at the factory. This might still be an issue even if done professionally.

Jack E/NJ     

Jack E/NJ

• Artess

Okay, well, I've disassembled and reassembled a few laptops in my life, though not this one. I'll let you know whether it helps or not =) For now, the weather is once again on the cold side, so the noise is gone. It sounds super weird when I'm typing this - oh, the laptop is a bit under the weather - but I cannot deny the obvious correlation.

• JackE

>>>the weather is once again on the cold side, so the noise is gone.>>>

Yes, indeed! I also forgot to mention that problems like this almost always seem to happen around here in late spring when the warm & humid weather begins to settle in. I'm sure that you've also found that electrician, duct & transparent tapes come in handy when breaking those plastic laptop parts. 8^) Good luck! Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• dody
    dody Member Posts: 3 New User
    Hi, I have a different model but on the same series: VN7-791G, and got the same issue. I think the issue was related to USB. When a USB device is attached, e.g. a USB hard drive, it will eventually and predictably causes the crackling/humming noise to start within a few minutes. It is not related to driver as booting to Linux, or even when still on BIOS page, it's already crackling. The only way to stop the noise for me, is to detach the USB device, shut down the laptop, wait a few hours, and turn it on.
  • intel23
    intel23 Member Posts: 3 New User
    Hello, I have VN7-791G-70TB , same issue , buzzing on the left speaker. Noticed it happens when I`m running games or connecting a secondary monitor/TV on HDMI. Currently I disconnect the speakers Poseidon 023.40030.0001 .
  • dody
    dody Member Posts: 3 New User
    Yes, it seems in addition to USB, when doing anything CPU tasking, I also noticed the buzzing happens. And it's on my left speaker too! Thinking about disconnecting the speakers but remembered not having good time last time opening the case, it was so complicated to put them back.
  • jakethewarship
    jakethewarship Member Posts: 2 New User
    Hello!
    Has anyone been able to find a permanent solution to this problem? I'm experiencing it right now on my vn7-792G. Buzzing and crackling on a bottom left speaker, even when no audio is played and I'm using headphones. Shutting down an app that's using some resources stops the noises, but they eventually reappear.
    Cheers!