Aspire v5-551 Remove windows 8 install windows 7 help

Radiation
Radiation Member Posts: 2 New User

So I just purchased this laptop and really dislike windows 8. I have my 64-bit version of Windows 7 Home Premium but I cannot get it to install..I have spent all day researching different ways to perform what should be a simple 'downgrade' to no avail.

I've managed to get into the bios.. I've disabled Secure Boot. I've tried switching from UEFI to Legacy. I've tried from both a DVD Rom as well as putting the ISO using Rufus onto a USB stick and setting it to the correct filetypes (GPT Partition for UEFI computers w/ Fat32). I've gotten as far as the windows 7 windows setup starting up but as soon as it starts to copy the files, I get the following error  'Windows cannot open the required file D:\Sources\install.esd.. etc'. This is the same from USB or DVD while set to Legacy (I cannot even get the DVD or USB to boot while in UEFI mode) I've even updated the BIOS from 2.10 to 2.16 as I've also read that a newer version of the BIOS may add the 'Authentication' option to the BIOS. An option that I am currently missing that I've seen on other youtube videos that is listed between security and boot. I've tried setting a BIOS Supervisor password as some sites reported that worked. Nothing. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Headed to bed so wont test and reply till morning.

Edit: Grammar.

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

if you install under Legacy, you don't have to format your USB for GPT and UEFI computers.

please notice that you probably need to convert the HDD from GPT to MBR to successfull install.

or you can try to install windows 7 using UEFI (this will save you from hardware issues under legacy) and GPT, try to follow those guides:

http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/15458-uefi-bootable-usb-flash-drive-create-windows.html

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/186875-uefi-unified-extensible-firmware-interface-install-windows-7-a.html

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • Radiation
    Radiation Member Posts: 2 New User

Thanks for the reply IronFly.. 

The issue I'm running into is there is no way while the system is in UEFI mode to get into a BIOS or boot selection option as is shown in the first image of that first link you provided. While in UEFI mode it will always boot using the Windows boot manager and straight into windows. Althogugh I have the boot order set to DVD Rom (With my x64 Windows 7 disc in) as first choice and the Lexar USB stick with the bootable x64 Windows 7 install on it as prefpared by Rufus is bypasss those and goes into windows. I am unable to get to a screen as the one in the link to select a UEFI device to see if it works.

It's the same scenerios with the 2nd link provided.. I skip to step 4 which is the same image that tells me to select a UEFI device but I am unable to get to this selection. I have tried Escape, as well as all function keys.