Aspire laptop connects to one wireless network but not another

Options
acerdeville
acerdeville Member Posts: 8 New User
edited March 2023 in 2014 Archives

First I need to let you know that my home network consist of a Motorola modem/wireless router from my ISP. I have the wireless turned off, then I use a cat5 ethernet cable to connect a Belkin wireless router so that I can use the two USB ports on the back for a Networked storage device for doing regular backups on all the pc's in the house, and my non-wireless printer, so we can print from anyroom of the house, instead of taking the computer back to where the printer is. So about three days ago I got my Aspire 5734Z-4386 laptop, and I did not have a wireless connection. So I checked my phone, and it still had a connection to the Belkin. I took about ten minutes to troubleshoot the Atheros AR5B93 wireless adapter. Could not understand why I didn't have a connection, it was working great about 12 hours before. 

So for some reason I used another pc and logged into the Motorola and turned the wireless back on, and immediately the Aspire was showing a connection available, I clicked it and it said "connecting" for a few seconds, and then showed "internet connection". I spent about 5 minutes surfing the internet, and then disconnected from the Motorola and reconnected to the Belkin, it said "connecting" for about a minute, then the yellow triangle came up, no internet. Went back and clikced the Motorola, again internet connection, but not on the Belkin. So I got the other pc and checked the webpage for the Belkin to make sure the Aspire hadn't gotten blacklisted somehow, there's nothing there to explain why I can't connect. So I have spent three days, uninstalling the adapter, and re-installing, I used the Motorola to download the latest driver for the adapter. 

When the Aspire is on the Belkin network with the rest of the other pc's, I have no problem moving files from and to the Aspire. I can use the Aspire to log in to any of the other pc's and right-click a file and copy to the Aspire, and watch the file show up on the Aspire, or take the Aspire and copy a file over to another pc, or use another pc to access the Aspire. But I can not get an internet connection, unless I'm on the Motorola network. Now I had the wireless on the Motorola turned off so all the connected devices would be on one network so we can share files, and other network connected activities.

I will admit I'm totally confused, this does not make sense at all. I mean if someone else told me that their computer was doing this, I would have told them "that is impossible". Engineering wise, technology wise it is not possible for an adapter to do what mine is doing. But it is doing it. Can someone please help me understand what is going on, and how to fix it? I don't often admit defeat, but this time I have been beaten almost to death.  

Best Answer

Answers

• philetus
    philetus ACE Posts: 4,759 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    Options

Have you tried restarting the router?

• acerdeville
    acerdeville Member Posts: 8 New User
    Options

Philetus, thank you for your reply I did try restarting everything several times. Then I get up this morning and realize that both the modem and the router were dead. They are both in my bedroom, and I have to walk past them to leave the room, and it was still dark when I got up, so it was obvios there was no lights on. After my wife got up and I could get back in there, I discovered that not only were the router and modem off, but so was the battery backup they were plugged into. When we first had the internet installed we were having a problem with some kind of interferance knocking the modem offline several times a day. The backup was put in to isolate it from any possible electrical interferance. Then about 3 technicans later, I finally got one that listened to me, and he tracked down a loose connection about a mile from the house where the line ties into the main trunk. 

I unplugged the modem and router from the backup, and straight into the wall, the Belkin router is dead, not even life support will help. The Modem will power up, but that is all. The main Power light comes on, but it doesn't even try to connect. Tuesday afternoon, I had to place two calls to AT&T, because we were getting kicked offline again, I finally did a factory reset, and that was the last time I had a problem, until this morning. Apparently the backup fried and fried the other two things. I have been meaning to sit down and draw up a plan for building a new network system, I guess I don't have a choice now. LOL

So, I do appreciate you trying to help, I didn't have a clue where the problem was, I posted on the belkin site also in case it was the router. So I'll mark this solved, and start planning.