Aspire V5-591G-72K9: Issues with m.2 NMVe ssd drive

Options
bkowal
bkowal Member Posts: 6 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

Hi,

I own a Aspire V5-591G-72K9 laptop with a SATA SSD drive with Windows 10 Home installed on it.

2 days ago a bought a brand new Samsung NVMe SSD 960 EVO m.2 500GB drive and plugged it as a secondary disk. I first let Windows 10 install drivers for this disk. It managed to do so, but when I tried to access the drive (e.g. format it), I always got 'Invalid function' error. I then downloaded Samsung drivers for NVMe disks (ver. 2.2). Result: 'Invalid function' error stopped to pop up. However, when I tried accessing the disk, the window with the new drive hung. I wasn't able to shut Windows down gracefully ... it was hanging. I tried accessing this disk many times and had no luck, every time I did it, I had to restart Windows forcibly :/.

I search through the web and found a tip taht I should try upgrading to the latest revision of Windows 10 Home and this is what I did - I upgraded to to ver. 1703. ... and suddently the disk started to work. I created a NTFS partion on it and copied some data onto it. I then restarted my laptop and the disk stopped working :/. Windows hung everytime I tried to access the disk. I tried removing the Samsung driver and failed, so I removed the disk, restarted my laptop, removed the driver manually from the filesystem, shut the laptop down, installed the disk again, started Windows again and ... got the 'Invalid function' error :/. Just to be clear - Windows is able to see the disk, the size of the NTFS parition, disk's label, amount of free space and teh top level directories. When I try to explore these directories, I get 'Invalid function' error.

What am I doing wrong? Any hints how to make it work? Are there any other NVMe drivers taht could be useful?

BTW, I copied some stuff onto this disk and I'd prefer not to lose it Smiley Happy.

Thanks!

Bartek

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,482 Trailblazer
    Options

Enter the BIOS menu and make sure it properly identifies the drive. This SSD has reported issues with other models & mfrs. Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• bkowal
    Options

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. I can see it in BIOS. 

BTW, I've upgraded BIOS to the latest version, but it did not help at all.

Thanks!

B.

• JackE
    Options

Does the SSD act normally in SafeMode?  Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• bkowal
    Options

Hi,

Sorry for the really late response. I've been having issues with logging into my Acer account. I have been receiving huge exception stacktraces from Struts Smiley Happy

Anyway, here's my update:

- switching to safe mode didn't help

- I downloaded Ubuntu, created a bootable USB pendrive, launched it and mounted this m.2 disk in read-only mode; I managed to fetch all data from that disk; I then formatted this drive and created a new NTFS partion; Windows 10 still fails to see it

It seems that the problem is not with hardware, but with Windows 10 drivers. I'll try to find some hints on Microsoft forum Smiley Happy.

Thanks for all your help.

B.

• JackE
    Options

OK. Did you check to see if the SSD shows up in Device Mgr or Disk Mgt? If it does, you may be able to use those tools to get it properly initialized for Win10 file explorer on your system.   Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• bkowal
    Options

At the very beginning it did show up in both Device Mgr and Disk Mgt. I managed to format the disk and copy data onto it. However, after a restart it disappeared completely and I wasn't able to force Windows to find this device again. Since then I haven't see this disk anywhere in Windows :/.

B.

• JackE
    Options

Does Ubuntu still see it today? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• bkowal
    Options

Yep, it's still available under Ubuntu.

• JackE
    Options

>>>I wasn't able to force Windows to find this device again>>>

How did you try to force it to search for the SSD?  Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• bkowal
    Options

I didn't "force" it. I just found a proper /dev/nvmeXXXX device and mount it.

B.

• JackE
    Options

Sorry, you originally said >>>I wasn't able to force Windows to find this device again>>>

My question was how did you try to force Windows, not Linux, to find the device? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ