Aspire V5-571G, with a dead hard disk, windows licence key location

Options
simon69
simon69 Member Posts: 2 New User

I have an Aspire V5-571G, with a dead hard disk. can anyone tell me if the windows 8 licence key is stored on the hard disk or in the BIOS? - it's not my laptop so please don't give me a hard time about recovery disks etc Smiley Happy

I don't want to buy a new disk and a new version of windows, as for what it'd cost it'd be better getting a new laptop.

thanks

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Options

BIOS

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • simon69
    simon69 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

Thanks to the swift reply, I'll get a new hdd

• jcmos
    jcmos Member Posts: 3 New User
    Options

bios? LOL

How a windows licence key is gonna be stored in the BIOS? since when? Come on don't confuse people.

If you alredy activated Windows, you don't have to worry by formatting the entire disk. The Windows Licence key is stored at Microsoft, and not the bloody BIOS, LOL. Once you activate your Windows, Microsoft can recognize that the licence for that Windows belongs to one particular machine so when you install Windows, Microsoft will recognize your machine therefore will activate for the version of Windows you previously activated for.

BIOS, LOL

• IronFly
    Options

Product key to be picky, so product key is on BIOS thanks to SLIC tables and it was needed by windows 8 to be re-installed, since it will ask a product key.

I think OP meant this instead of license and product keys are on BIOS since windows 7 and from windows 8 the prpduct key sticker is no more on the chassie.

Luckly Microsoft give us the possibility to bypass the product key request on windows 10 since the license activation is stored and its servers.

• jcmos
    Options

The BIOS is a totally separate entity in regard to the OS. The BIOS is the firmware and has nothing to do with the OS. The BIOS task is to initialize the hardware during the booting process. The product Key has nothing to do with the BIOS. Do not confuse people please! Only some BIOS from branded computers such as DELL may have a digital signature placed inside the BIOS for their OEM versions of Windows.

• IronFly
    Options

Enjoy:

https://www.bios-mods.com/forum/Thread-SLIC-what-is-it

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BIOS#Identification

http://www.guytechie.com/articles/2010/2/25/how-slp-and-slic-works.html

Since we are talking about an Acer product in an Acer community board, all Acer BIOS had SLIC tables (from windows 7-8) to active windows installations.

• jcmos
    Options

"...such as DELL", also ACER and maybe others......correct