Aspire V5-122P screen problem

Options
danmoz98
danmoz98 Member Posts: 3 New User
edited March 2023 in 2014 Archives

I have an Aspire V5-122P with Windows 8 that was stuck in an 'automatic repair' loop. I managed to get into safemode and set chkdsk to run on reboot. Upon reboot it said 'scanning and repairing', got as far as 27 percent and then stopped there for three to four hours. At this point I figured it wasn't doing anything so powered down the netbook. When I turned it back on there's nothing on the screen, it's just black. The power lights are on, the fan is running, I can hear the HDD but nothing appears on the screen. I've tried pressing FN and f5 /f6, etc but it does nothing.

I've even opened it up, removed the battery, removed the CMOS battery, reset CMOS in the hope it'd reset but it doesn't solve the problem.

any ideas?

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,605 Trailblazer
    Options

First check that your video adapter is OK by HDMI out to a TV. Do the Fn+F5 or Fn+F6 toggle routine to see if you get a TV display. Report back with results. 

Thanks

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• danmoz98
    Options

It doesn't have HDMI out, it only appears to have what looks like a Displayport and I've just tried this on my Dell monitor and nothing appears on that either. I've tried the FN + f5 / f6 keys and that doesn't seem to do anything.

Furthermore, it appears if I plug any device with an LED into a USB port, such as a mouse, keyboard or USB drive, there doesn't appear to be any power getting to any device. Mice and keyboards don't illuminate and USB drives show no activity.

Is this sign of a dead mainboard?

• JackE
    Options

It should also have an HDMI port. v5-122p specs>>>1 - USB 3.0 Port, 1 - USB 2.0 Port, 1 - HDMI Port, 1 - Acer Converter Port>>>

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• danmoz98
    Options

It definitely doesn't. Here's the manual:

http://content.etilize.com/User-Manual/1025795255.pdf

Here's the left side:

acer1.PNG

Here's the rigth side:

acer2.PNG

#4 on the left side is the Acer Convertor Port which to me looks exactly like a mini Displayport socket.

• JackE
    Options

Sorry.  The 122ps I pulled up showed both the HDMI and the mini-display port. In your case then about all I can suggest to test the video adapter is to get a mini-display-port to hdmi adapter. 

Jack E/NJ  

Jack E/NJ

• LoneWolfSeth
    LoneWolfSeth Member Posts: 7 New User
    Options

for me it has started since I got the thing home I charged it for the required 7 hours plus

and still have nothing on screen when I plugged it into the vga cable via the vga to hdmi mini adapter it showed on the monitor/tv , I accdently unplugged the adapter (triped  on a cord) band the notebook screen came on.  When I powered it down and closed it to take with me so I could work on getting everything transfered over.  but now it's back at nothing on the screen I will see if I can get the monitor and/or tv to show the screen for me and see if I can switch it from there I will update as soon as I can

• LoneWolfSeth
    Options

****update****

I still got the video feed on a monitor via the vga to hdmi mini adapter tried the fn+f5;fn+f6 and nothinh is still on the notebook tried the unplugging  thing  but still a blank screen on the  notebook

• LoneWolfSeth
    Options

sorry for a 3rd post but forgot to mention the touch part works just no video

• JackE
    Options

Your video adapter seems to be working OK. So the next step would be to remove the battery and power supply. Then remove the screen bezel (2 screws need to be removed at the bottom of the bezel covered by circular taped covers).  Then re-seat the ribbon cable connector to the screen a half dozen or so times to clean the contacts. You may have to remove a piece of tape that helps to affix the connector to the screen. Report back with results. Thanks.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• LoneWolfSeth
    Options

ok why? if I open it up will that not void the warrenty? I have only had this computer for less than 20 hours the 1 year warrenty reg will not accept today as a valid date. and when I looked up to see if I could get more support said it wasn't under warrenty

• LoneWolfSeth
    Options

if I have to open it up then it is either getting returned to the store I got it from or back to acre at acre's cost

• JackE
    Options

I agree. I'd return it to the store ASAP if you just bought it.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• LoneWolfSeth
    Options

still need to know how to dend acer my proof of purchace

• JackE
    Options

In your situation, I think it's best to return the laptop to the store for a refund at this early stage.

Jack E/NJ  

Jack E/NJ