Aspire V5-122P - corrupt BIOS? Dead screen problem

sortapundit
sortapundit Member Posts: 3 New User
Hi Smiley Happy

A few nights ago I came home to find my Aspire V5-122P (Windows 8' 64bit) was stuck on the blue screen of death with the error code BUGCODE_USB_DRIVER. It took several attempts to get it to restart and boot up correctly, and when it did the touchscreen didn't work and the USB mouse quickly lost its connection.

In the Device Manager were far too many USB devices and USB root hubs, several of which had exclamation points beside them, but Windows didn't seem able to recognize that anything was amiss, and when I uninstalled them all they simply reinstalled on reboot (which was still plagued by the blue screen problem).

Eventually, after many hours of frustration and sever sleep deprivation, I made the really stupid decision that updating the BIOS might help. They were on a version pre-2.06, which must be installed before updating to the latest version, and the 2.06 installation went without a hitch (though all my other issues still remained). When I tried to update to BIOS version 2.xx (whichever is the most recent for my model on the Acer site) it all went wrong. The laptop crashed on reboot, and since then the screen has been dead. The computer will power up (blue power light on) and charge, but the only visible activity is the fan.

I took the laptop to my local Acer service centre here in Bangkok, but after a day they called to say I need a new motherboard, which comes with a painful two week wait. I'm sure they're very competent at the centre, but I'm not convinced they exhausted all the options before jumping to the hardware replacement solution. There doesn't appear to be any physical damage to the motherboard or anything inside the box, so I'm hoping there may be some way to salvage it.

I have a USB stick and my partner's MacBook, and I'm wondering of it's possible to restore the BIOS (which I assume to be corrupt). Can anyone help?

Answers

• Blayn-Acer
    Blayn-Acer Administrator Posts: 2,355 Community Administrator

From your description, I seriously doubt the problem is with a corrupted BIOS. I feel the issue is most likely with the hardware, and feel the motherboard replacement will fix the issue. My advice would be to let the service center replace the MB. That should fix your issue. 

• jgorreon
    jgorreon Member Posts: 6 New User

I have the same problem almost the same story and still no solution.