Aspire V3-572P windows 10 stand-by and shut down intermittent issues

Options
fsa
fsa Member Posts: 7 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

Over the past couple of months, the laptop has a mind of its own when it comes to shutting down or going on standby.

Sometimes it behaves normally: if I select standby from the menu or close the lid, it does so and the left hand indicator light goes amber. Or if I choose to shut down, it does so and the left hand indicator light goes from blue to off. The problem is when selecting either causes the screen to go blank, the left hand indicator to remain blue and does not come back out of standby or switch back on. Forced shut down with the power button is the only way out.

Having been through some of the threads here, I have tried:

• to repair the OS using a bootable USB
  • ran the troubleshoot for updates (no errors found)
  • tried to disable fast startup, but there is no such option under the 'change settings currently unavailable'
  • switched off hibernate through command prompt

Judging by the number of threads on this matter, it seems to be a long-standing issue with no exact solution. What should I try next?

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,695 Trailblazer
    Options

>>> if I select standby from the menu or close the lid, it does so>>>Or if I choose to shut down, it does so>>>The problem is when selecting either causes the screen to go blank>>>and does not come back>>>on

Have you tried to toggle the screen on with the Fn+F6 combo?  Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• fsa
    Options

Thanks for your reply. When the indicator remains blue, I have tried toggling the screen back on and nothing happens.

• JackE
    Options

What was the factory-delivered Windows version? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• fsa
    Options

Factory delivered was 8.1

I upgraded to 10 during the free upgrade period. This issue started a few months ago.

• JackE
    Options

So are you reasonably sure that this issue did NOT appear ***immediately*** after the free Win10 upgrade... that is, before any Win10 updates might've happened later on? Jack E/NJ  

Jack E/NJ

• fsa
    Options

I'm quite sure it didn't happen immediately after the free upgrade. I didn't keep track of the subsequent upgrades, so I'm not sure which one could have caused it.

• JackE
    Options

OK. Search Control Panel for "restore point".  Click on "restore system files/settings from a restore point". Win10 updates likely created some restore points for the last month or so. If you didn't create any yourself, the oldest Win10 restore point is probably as far back as you can go to try to fix the issue ***if*** one of the listed Win10 updates caused it. You earlier said that you tried to repair the system using a bootable USB. What do you mean by this? Was this a USB backup of your Win10 system that you made perhaps before any of the listed restore points? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• fsa
    Options

Thanks for this. The earliest restore point I could see was from two months ago, which I reverted to but didn't solve the problem.

I created the bootable USB using the 'Create Windows 10 Installation Media' tool from the microsoft website and used it to conduct a repair. Unfortunately, I didn't have the foresight to create a USB backup of my Win0 system from my initial upgrade.

• JackE
    Options

>>>Unfortunately, I didn't have the foresight to create a USB backup of my Win[10] system from my initial upgrade>>>

You're not alone. Major Win10 updates have caused many issues for many folks with many mfrs' machines. And the Win10 auto restore points aren't saved as far back as they once were in earlier WinVers. The problem with this update policy is that many folks either don't immediately notice or try to live with the update-caused issues till it's too late to turn back --- the restore points have been auto deleted. At this point, I think you have two options. Continue to live with the annoyance till a future Win10 update hopefully makes it go away. Don't hold your breath though. Or do an Alt+F10 back to Win8.1 if the Win10 installation hasn't already wiped out your hidden ACER recovery partition. Jack E/NJ  

Jack E/NJ

• fsa
    Options

Thanks for your time with this matter. I'd be happy to live with this annoyance, although my concern would be any harmful effects from holding the power button for forced shut down when the issue happens. Although, at this stage, it looks like I have no other choice.

• JackE
    Options

Other than the annoyance and boot-time it takes to run an abnormal-shutdown check, I doubt any harmful effects unless you choose to skip the check which might cause file corruption. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ