Aspire V3-571G won't boot from USB flash drive

dec0yable
dec0yable Member Posts: 17 New User
edited March 2023 in 2014 Archives

Hi,

My hard disk drive died and i want to replace it with a new hybrid sshd drive.

I made a recovery drive in the past for this occasion but for some reason when i put in the usb drive it completely pauses any booting. When I remove the usb it goes on put when I put it back in it pauses it again. Is there a way to disable that so i could just boot from that usb drive?

Thanks in advance!

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

Pay attention that you can have a faulty USB or incompatible USB pen.

i had a similar issue some times ago on a desktop and i found that, even if the USB pen worked nice under windows, at boot it hangs and was impossible to enter BIOS too.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • dec0yable

how could i know its the stick itself?

• IronFly

you could, creating a recovery in another USB pen.

you can copy the files to another USB pen and make the new USB pen bootable.

• dec0yable

what i think is strange is that when i put it in at any time when i'm in the bios it pauses just straight stops and when i pull it out it continues like nothing happened

• IronFly

you need to put the USB pen before booting to BIOS and sometimes happen that kind of issue; system hangs on with the USB pen inserted.

oh, by the way, if you have only a simple recovery, you can't re-install the OS, the recovery just helps you to troubleshot windows startup and to recover a previous backup.

if you don't have a previous full backup, you need to order recovery media from Acer, this would help you re-install everything as factory.

US shop:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchResult.aspx?lang=eng&ProdId=3712

• dec0yable

i made the recovery with the windows recovery tool copying the entire recovery partition aswell can i use that then or do i have to use that media stick you suggested?

• IronFly

can you tell me the size of the recovery partition copied?

• dec0yable

about 14gb

• IronFly

ok, i suggest you to follow this guide to make an USB pen bootable and copy ALL the files of your old USB pen with the recovery:

method 1

http://www.wikihow.com/Make-a-USB-Bootable

• dec0yable

i don't have another usb pen that's large enough i bought this one especially for recovery but i'll try formatting it and make it bootable again

• IronFly

OK, good luck. Smiley Happy

• dec0yable

thanks Smiley Happy i actually thought it was a kind of security so no data from a hostile usb could interfere with the booting process and i could disable it somewhere thanks for the help so far Smiley Happy i'll come right back here when its done Smiley Happy

• dec0yable

formatting didn't help bt i'm going to make a bootable partition on my external drive and use that as recovery disk

• IronFly

good choice.

the only things on BIOS can be secure boot or UEFI/legacy but that doesn't make a BIOS hangs.

• dec0yable

actually i'm in windows 8.1 but i already tried legacy and secure boot both didn't help...

• IronFly

yep, i edited my post.

• dec0yable

So i got a new usb drive (my external drive took too much time to repartition...) and tried booting with it in the usb slot and now i can access my bios no problem but now when i use acer recovery tools i cant make a new recovery drive because it cant find the recovery partition although the partition is there in diskmanagement and using EaseUS partition master i can see the recovery files right there. Does anyone have an idea why the partition is unreadable by acer recovery management?

• IronFly
    Probably a corrupted MBR or GPT.
  • dec0yable

Any idea on how to solve that?

• dec0yable

could i copy that partition to my new usb pen?