Aspire One netbook Windows 7

Options
Finn6107
Finn6107 Member Posts: 6 New User

When I turned my netbook on today, I got a black screen and "Missing operating system" in the upper left corner. I've been using it lately to get ready for a trip and the battery isn't dead. The power button light is on and nothing happens when I press it. When I plug it in I get a loud beep.

Is there anything I can do to recover the operating system?

Thank you

Best Answer

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,483 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options

It's also possible the bios button cell battery may be a bit weak. This sometimes causes the bios chip to lose its hard drive settings if the main battery is also weak or low on charge. A simple fix is to  F2 at boot time to re-enter the bios menu, as you did with the missing OS error, and the chip will automatically detect and reset its hard drive setting if the hard drive is OK. On exiting while saving, you will boot normally.

This might be a more likely scenario than a boot order issue since the bios usually continues to search the boot order if it doesn't find the operating system on the first device in the boot order.

This is why it's still a good practice to avoid running your main battery down too far since it will also help avoid boot device issues caused by a weak or failed bios button cell.

Jack E/NJ        

Jack E/NJ

Answers

• JackE
    Options

Press and hold the power button till the netbook powers down. Then power up again. At the Acer logo screen press F2 to enter the bios menu. Check if the hard drive is recognized by the bios. If so, press F10 to exit and save any changes to the bios. Report back with results.

Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• Finn6107
    Options

Something odd has happened and I don't know if it's good news or a sign that the netbook is dying. I went out for 7 hours and when I got back the blue power light was out. It wouldn't turn off or reboot earlier, even though I held it down for a while. Before I saw your message, I plugged it in and pressed the power button and it booted up as usual. Everything looks normal.

Thank you for your suggestion. I will keep it in case it happens again and I will try it then. Does this sound like the beginning of more problems or was it just a fluke? It has never happened before, even when the battery has run right down.

Finn

• JackE
    Options

>>>Does this sound like the beginning of more problems or was it just a fluke? It has never happened before, even when the battery has run right down.>>>

Seems more likely a battery issue. Either the main battery and/or the bios button cell. Neither of which is a big issue. What is the Aspire One model number? How long have you had it?

Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• Finn6107
    Options

Model no. PIVE6. I've had it about 3-4 years. MFG date 1112. I know that's a long time for technology but I mainly use it for travelling. Since you say it isn't a big issue if it is one of those batteries that is going, should I be able to get the battery replaced in a computer store that sells Acer and does repairs?

Finn

• JackE
    Options

Windows taskbar battery monitor will usually (but not always) continually display a red X warning advisory to replace the main battery if it detects a potential issue even if the battery charge level is above 10%. So, unless you see this continuous warning, it's probably safe to continue using this old battery if it's plugged in and recharged promptly after it falls below the 10% charge level on the battery monitor.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Finn6107
    Options

Thank you for all the information and advice. I will watch for the red X and keep my battery charged.

Finn

• Finn6107
    Options

I've had a further development with my "Missing operating system". It happened again and I went into Setup with F2. What I saw about the boot order made me think that maybe my problem was caused by having a memory stick in the USB port before turning it on. I was going to copy some files to my netbook and so I put the memory stick in first. I think that might have been the case before too. I have turned it on many times lately without a problem, except for the one time with the memory stick.

If this could cause that error message, I will be very relieved and not worry about taking it away with me.

Thanks,

Finn

• JackE
    Answer ✓
    Options

It's also possible the bios button cell battery may be a bit weak. This sometimes causes the bios chip to lose its hard drive settings if the main battery is also weak or low on charge. A simple fix is to  F2 at boot time to re-enter the bios menu, as you did with the missing OS error, and the chip will automatically detect and reset its hard drive setting if the hard drive is OK. On exiting while saving, you will boot normally.

This might be a more likely scenario than a boot order issue since the bios usually continues to search the boot order if it doesn't find the operating system on the first device in the boot order.

This is why it's still a good practice to avoid running your main battery down too far since it will also help avoid boot device issues caused by a weak or failed bios button cell.

Jack E/NJ        

Jack E/NJ

• Finn6107
    Options

Thanks again. I'll keep it charged up.

Finn