Aspire One: green pixels flashing on the screen

Options
gorgoglionemeis
gorgoglionemeis Member Posts: 3 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

Hi all! I have a notebook Acer AO532h purchased in 2010. The operating system is Ubuntu 16.04. I have installed Ubuntu since the first day and have never had any problems. Suddenly abnormal green pixels began to appear on the screen, as you can see from the photos. I tried switching to Windows but they are present. I tried connecting the notebook to an external display and this problem does not occur.

I replaced the LCD panel with a new one but it did not change anything. So I excluded a LCD panel fault. Now I have no idea about the problem. Can you help me, please? Thanks in advance.

The startup. Abnormal green pixels all over the screen.The startup. Abnormal green pixels all over the screen.The startup. Green pixels around the Ubuntu logo.The startup. Green pixels around the Ubuntu logo.The browser. Green pixels surfing the web.The browser. Green pixels surfing the web.The shutdown.The shutdown.

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,549 Trailblazer
    Options

The video ribbon cable probably needs to be replaced usually due to a conductor trace failure in the hinge area. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• gorgoglionemeis
    Options

Thank you for your reply. Do you mean the LVDS cable? (Look at the image.) Would you exclude any software failure (i.e. drivers)?

lvds-cable.png

• JackE
    Options

A software failure is unlikely If Device Manager shows no device driver issues. The cable runs thru the hinge area from the mainboard connector to the inverter connector near the bottom of the screen. You can try to re-seat both connectors a few times to see if the contacts were dirty. However, an intermittent break in one or more ribbon conductor traces in the hinge area is probably the cause. New video ribbon cable replacements are very inexpensive for the AO532h. Jack E/NJ  

Jack E/NJ

• gorgoglionemeis
    Options
    Problem solved! :) I replaced the LVDS cable, as you advised me, and the problem is gone. Thanks again and I hope this thread will be useful to someone else.
  • JackE
    Options
    Congrats on solving your problem! Thanks for letting us know! Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ