Aspire One d255 does not recognize usb connected external ssd drive

Options
nremollino1
nremollino1 Member Posts: 2 New User

I want to replace the original 160 Gb HDD with a 120 Gb Samsung ssd 750 evo but the bios and Win 10 does not recognize the ssd as a connected external drive via a usb connection, so I could not create an image from my internal hdd.  Is there a way to clone my hdd to the ssd so I can swap the drive afterwards?  Do I need to update bios, install a missing driver, etc.?

Best Answer

• nremollino1
    Answer ✓
    Options

I used two different connections:  one is a 2.5" SATA drive enclosure that I used with a 2.5" HDD and is working fine with the HDD and the other one is combination SATA/IDE connector with a separate cables for SATA and power supply, and neither of them works.  I read in another forum during my research that the Aspire One d255 does not recognize any external SSD connected by way of a USB whatsoever.  Since my netbook does not have any data and I just did a Windows 10 clean install on its internal HDD, I removed the 160 Gb HDD and replaced it with a 120 Gb SSD and did another Windows 10 clean install.  It worked and my system now boots in under 20 secs.   We can close this thread now since I now have a fully function faster machine.  Thank you!

Answers

• padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder
    Options

What kind of adapter are you using to convert the SATA drive to USB ? Most require a seperate power supply to provide the 12vdc.

• nremollino1
    Answer ✓
    Options

I used two different connections:  one is a 2.5" SATA drive enclosure that I used with a 2.5" HDD and is working fine with the HDD and the other one is combination SATA/IDE connector with a separate cables for SATA and power supply, and neither of them works.  I read in another forum during my research that the Aspire One d255 does not recognize any external SSD connected by way of a USB whatsoever.  Since my netbook does not have any data and I just did a Windows 10 clean install on its internal HDD, I removed the 160 Gb HDD and replaced it with a 120 Gb SSD and did another Windows 10 clean install.  It worked and my system now boots in under 20 secs.   We can close this thread now since I now have a fully function faster machine.  Thank you!