Aspire One AO521-3530 and Kali 2016 Linux. Which BIOS Version? HELP!!

Options
TC00t
TC00t Member Posts: 1 New User

As the Title suggests, I have an Acer ASPIRE ONE AO521-3530 Netbook that I purchased way back in August of 2010. This little Netbook is quite impressive, to me anyway, to this day. It still works good as new, with Windows 7 installed anyway...Here is a little more info on my Netbook before I begin...

CPU: AMD Athlon II Neo K125 1.7GHz

CHIPSET: AMD M880G

BIOS VERSION: 1.03 (Currently Installed)

SCREEN SIZE: 10.1 Inches, Widescreen, 1024 x 600 Resolution, LED Backlight

GRAPHICS: ATi Radeon HD 4225, 384MB Dedicated Memory

MEMORY: 1x204 Pin DDR3 10600 SO-DIMM SLOT w/ a 4GB DDR3 Memory Stick Installed

--(Mem Stick is actually a DDR3 PC12600 I had laying around, seems to work just fine on Windows 7)--

Alright. I have a laptop that dual boots Windows 7 and Kali 2016. This laptop has a 1.3GHz Dual Core w/ 2 GB of RAM. Besides being a little sluggish, it works great. So recently I decided I wanted to do the same thing with my Acer ASPIRE ONE Netbook. I currently have Windows 7 installed as well as Kali 2016 installed on my Netbook. Windows works flawlessly as it always did, Linux not so much. The keyboard as well as the touchpad does not work in Linux. I have to use a USB Keyboard and Mouse. I thought maybe it was just a driver error and a upgrade/update might fix the issue. I just spent a little more than 2 hours researching my problem without much help. I did however find out a few useful tidbits of information regarding Linux install and my AO521-3530. I also work in the feild of IT (Information Techonolgy) as a Network Administrator therefore I have above average knowledge and skill regarding technological products. 

I have never updated the BIOS on this netbook as I did not ever have a need too. I am familiar with updating BIOS and have done it several times before. Now, on Acer's website it lists 4 possible BIOs version for my particular netbook. They are BIOS v1.03 (Installed), BIOS v1.06, BIOS v1.08, and BIOS v1.11. Typically when I update BIOS, I update to the most recent version. On Acer's website it lists BIOs v1.08 will fix a keyboard error in Linux. So I am tempted to try this version except on several other forums, other people say this version doesn't help and some people say it does help. Depends on what flavor of Linux one is using. According to many online sources, the BIOs versions 1.03 and 1.06 will "cripple" Ubuntu. BIOs v1.08 and while running Ubuntu will fix the keyboard and touchpad issues but adds the issue of NO battery detection. If possible I would like to be able to use my netbook without having it tethered to a wall, if it is possible that is, it may not be. With so many mixed results I have been unable to determine which BIOs version I should install and use for my given situation. I have been unable to find info regarding either the Kali 2016 Distro or Debian Distro and my particular Netbook or possible BIOs versions. I believe Kali is a modified and/or customized version of Debian, I could be wrong though. I have also read on several other forums that the difference between BIOS v1.08 and v1.11 is that v1.11 add a handfull of Windows 8 specific fixes and does nothing for someone using another OS besides WIN8. 

So, is there anyone out there who has an Acer ASPIRE ONE AO521-3530 and has/is successfully running Kali 2016, Debian, or Linux? My main concern is a working keyboard, touchpad, battery, and WiFi would be nice but not neccessary. I have other means to connect to Wifi besides an internal card if need be. If there are some folks who have had some luck in a similar situation; of the 4 availible BIOs versions, which are you running and what do you think I should run? According to Acers Driver/Downloads page for my product, the description for each BIOs version is super super limited. It does not say what each version specifically adds/fixes/changes/removes and I cannot find any more detailed info anywhere. As of now I am thinking about trying v1.08 as v1.11 is "SUPPOSABLY" identical to v1.08 with a couple WIN8 fixes added. Has anyone found an advantage running v1.11 and Linux that I am not listing?

I am in what I refer to as a PICKLE. If anyone can help answer any of the above questions I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks for your time.

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,482 Trailblazer
    Options

As you already know, messing with the bios can brick a machine if it doesn't go right. Most of these bios versions are intended to mainly fix issues that may (or may not) arise on factory-installed Windows machines. If you're comfortable with and confident in your expertise on flashing, then you have to decide whether or not you wanna give it a whirl. If it were my machine, like my trusty AO722 here that I've had since 2011, I neither have the expertise nor confidence in messing with the bios on a machine that works flawlessly on the factory-delivered operating system. Instead, I decided to run Linux, Win98, WinXP as guests of a Win7 host using VMWare's player. The virtual environment satisfies backward compatibility issues with earlier Windows versions and Linux runs as it should. And the VMPlayer is bullet-proof! Good luck in whatever you decide to do.

Jack E/NJ  

Jack E/NJ