Aspire One 722 just taken out of box will not connect to windows update.

Options
oldlefty
oldlefty Member Posts: 11 New User

I have 2 identical Aspire One notebooks 722 running AMD chipsets Running Windows 7sp1 pro.                              (SNID [edited to comply with guidelines])  that will not connect to window update. I the built in system restore on just one noteboook  to see if that would fix it. It it did not. These are both new, I had them on the shelf for work backup. I have tried for a month now to get Microsoft updates to work.

I have tried all the fixes and tools i can find on the net and within Microsoft to get updates to work and have had no sucsses.

I even went as far as buying a new hard drive and a new copy of Microsoft windows 7sp1 disc Still did not work.

Everything elese works fine I can join any network at work. Surf the web, Email download music or programs. No problems at all with that part of it. I don't get any error messages either it just sits at the update program and the bar just moves by for days if I let it. I do all the microsoft fixes they say everything is fine, or fixed and still nothing.

Just find it strange that a brand new disc of win7sp1 with a new HD it still did not work.I am at my wits end.

Anyone out there have the magic bullet I am missing????????

Sure could use some help on this. No I am not going to update to WIndows 10 and forget about this. Ha Ha

Best Answer

• oldlefty
    Answer ✓
    Options

Well @ 12:10 CST I was informed that I had 205 updates to install plus 5 optional.

So it is has now been installing updates since then.

So it does work. In review I did nothing I had not done before.

This time I did a fresh install of the OS. Installed all the latest drivers. Went through the online activation.

Clicked on updates in short order said something about downloading a new update engine. Screen went blank and flicked a few times. Than back to update sceeen were it sat running for approximently 12 plus hours. Then the notification of updates needed. And now it is @ 65 of 209 updates (installing)

When this one is finished I will do the same to the other notebook and hope for the same results.

Thanks to everyone that gave me advice here. It was great having you share your knowledge and encougment.

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,621 Trailblazer
    Options

>>>I have tried all the fixes and tools i can find on the net and within Microsoft to get updates to work and have had no sucsses.>>>

Did microsoft update troubleshooter find anything?

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/open-the-windows-update-troubleshooter

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• oldlefty
    Options

Everytime I have ran this. I get three seperate areas can't think of them now, but I get 3 green arrows that say fixed.

But it still does not work. If you need the information I can run it again and write here what they say.

• JackE
    Options

Check your taskbar for any flagged Windows update issues. In any event, I'd recommend changing update settings from control panel to install them automatically as a background task rather than trying to force it manually. And if you see the update checking bar moving on and on, just minimize it and continue working on other things while the updater is trying to do its thing. I think it eventually will.

Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• oldlefty
    Options

I do have it set to do update automatically. No flagged updates. At one time I had the updater running 3 days straight. Not a thing happened.  But one more time will not hurt I will let run all night and look at in the morning.

Thank you

• JackE
    Options

While you're patiently waiting for something to happen, you might get a chuckle or three by googling "windows 7 update stuck on checking" and the solutions offered. First to pop up might give you the biggest chuckle. http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-update/windows-7-update-stuck-on-checking-for-updates/16b239dc-7f4d-4e0d-887f-c0c3d66f2609?auth=1

As Allen Funt might suggest, I still think someday sometime when you least expect it, something's gonna happen. 8^)

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• oldlefty
    Options

I have had one of these running on windows update for over week and nothing.

I am going to restore both of these again. And let them run and if they still don't work after a few day.

I will just install the  updates through some other third party software.

Thanks for the help and humor.

• JackE
    Options

You seem like an adventurous soul. So why not try to upgrade one of your AO722s to Win10?

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-10-upgrade

I do suggest however that you make your own recovery media on a usb stick in case the Win10 installation wipes out your recovery partition. I don't think it will but better to be safe than sorry. 

And if you're successful and you like Win10 as much as Win7, I may even consider doing it to my own workhorse AO722 that I'm typing this message to you on right now! I'm a bit reluctant to do so since my Win7 updates and other stuff on the machine have been working smoothly, quickly and flawlessly ever since I got it almost 5 years ago. (knock on wood) Of course, you understand that I don't really mean to rub it in. 8^)     

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• oldlefty
    Options

I have window 10 running a number fo machines. These 2 are backups for some software at work that run programs that we have not evluated on Windows 10 machines.

I will say at present I am not a Win10 fan as it is related to my work enviorment.

For use as a everyday home user it is fine except for all the information that it sends microsoft.

I get request everyday from people at work to please remove Win10 from their computer.

• JackE
    Options

Then it seems like we gotta get those Win7 updates to happen on your AO722s. One particular update (I can't recall the specific number right now --- I think something like KB8xxxxxxx) once installed, seems to speed up subsequent check/install process on some Win7 installations. I know it wasn't specific to AO722s as I definitely would've taken notice. I'll try to find the reference to it and report back.

Jack E/NJ   

Jack E/NJ

• JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder
    Options

I'm sure Microsoft could tell you very quickly why it's not working properly.  Be sure to tell them that this a work environment and any info about your policies and firewall.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/contactus

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • JackE
    Options

OK. Still haven't found the magic KB8xxxxxxx update. Meanwhile you might try Jordan's suggestion. Or trying the method used by the last post dated Dec 15th on this microsoft community thread on the same issue if you haven't seen it and done so already. I must however warn you that the microsoft community is still anxiously waiting for the first person to mark any of the suggested remedies (including those from an alleged MS support engineer) as helpful. Just think, you could be the first one! 8^)

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-update/windows-7-update-stuck-on-checking-for-updates/679f6ca3-b407-4c19-88a8-e0abee2772fc

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• oldlefty
    Options

Well I just finished a reformat of one of the units. Installed all the drivers. Activation (good)

Clicked on updates and it went right to it did something stopped said something about install latest updat engine.

Sceen flashed a couple times went back to updated screen and is now just sitting there with the bar sliding by.

So that is the most I have seen from it ever. Will just let it run and see what happens. HA Ha

• JackE
    Options

>>>So that is the most I have seen from it ever>>>

A good sign, for sure. But I recommend that you don't hold your breath waiting for something else promising to happen. That update engine might be the magic kb8xxxxxxx update I've been trying to dig up. Thanks for the clue. But also don't hold your breath waiting for me to try to dig it up. 

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• oldlefty
    Options
  • oldlefty
    Answer ✓
    Options

Well @ 12:10 CST I was informed that I had 205 updates to install plus 5 optional.

So it is has now been installing updates since then.

So it does work. In review I did nothing I had not done before.

This time I did a fresh install of the OS. Installed all the latest drivers. Went through the online activation.

Clicked on updates in short order said something about downloading a new update engine. Screen went blank and flicked a few times. Than back to update sceeen were it sat running for approximently 12 plus hours. Then the notification of updates needed. And now it is @ 65 of 209 updates (installing)

When this one is finished I will do the same to the other notebook and hope for the same results.

Thanks to everyone that gave me advice here. It was great having you share your knowledge and encougment.

• JackE
    Options

>>>I did nothing I had not done before>>>Went through the online activation.>>>

Congrats! That online activation step might've been the key to resolving the issue. Do you recall doing an activation step before? I ask because at one time I did a fresh Win7 install from digital river on a machine. Didn't bother checking for updates at first cuz I wanted to get some work done right away. Everything worked OK for about a week...then got a message that I had to call a Microsoft 1-800 number to activate in order to continue using the system.  The phone activation went smoothly and no issues thereafter.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• oldlefty
    Options

Yes I always did the activation step. I will follow up on the second notebook this next week and see if I get the same results. Just don't understand, I really did not do anything differnt than the other times.

• JackE
    Options

>>>I really did not do anything differnt than the other times>>>

Be interesting to see if anything happens now with the other machine  by just firing it up and checking for updates. I still think it's gonna happen sooner or later without doing anything more on your part.

Jack E/NJ  

Jack E/NJ

• oldlefty
    Options

This other machine sat on windows updates for a few days. (they both have before)

I am just going to do a system restore and do everything in the same order as this last one and hope for the best.

• JackE
    Options

Well, it's first gotta be fired it up in order to do all that over again. And if it were mine, I'd just hafta do an update check one last time before I went thru all that over again. I'd prolly let it go on checking for another half hour or so. Maybe take a break and have an IPA or three while it's doing its thing. Then come back and see if anything's happening. And go from there. Yep, that's what I'd do. 8^)  

Jack E/NJ  

Jack E/NJ