Aspire One 722 eRecovery Help

Options
gmb1962
gmb1962 Member Posts: 9 New User

I have purchased recovery CD's and would like to wipe my system and start over.  When I boot to the recovery system disk I get to the point captured in the image.

0630161549-00xx.jpg

What is the difference between the 1st and third options. 

The 3rd option asks me to "Please delete any data on the hard drive."  I would have thought that restoring the computer to factory defaults would comense with erasing all data from the hard disk. 

If I select option 3 will I have an opportunity to erase the data within the procedure?

If I have to exit the recovery procedure to erase the data, what is the best way to do so before restoring the system to factory default status?

Thanks.

Answers

• gmb1962
    gmb1962 Member Posts: 9 New User
    Options

I received the following information from the Acer Store Chat connection:

Option 1 is intended for a recovery procedure to the hard disk drive that came with the computer.  I was told that it will erase everything currently on the c: drive, including any malware that may be present. 

Option 3 is intended for a new drive different from the one that came with the machine.  I can see where manually erasing any vendorware on the drive can be accomplished by mounting it into an external usb enclosure and connecting it to another system.  It would be simpler if one of the options presented was to erase the data from the recovery menu, but unfortunately that is not the case.

If anyone knows how to erase the data on a new drive installed in the acer notebook, I would appreciate hearing about it.  I imagine that a generic system recovery boot disk like "Hiren Boot CD" would provide that functionality but I have nver used one. 

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,547 Trailblazer
    Options

If your new HDD is properly formatted and never been used before, choose option 3. It should create a hidden recovery partition, a system partition and a c:\drive. If it's not new, you can re-format it and wipe all the data from it on another computer using a USB HDD adapter for less than $20 on Amazon. 

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder
    Options

gmb1962,

If you want to wipe your HDD so that the Acer recovery discs thinks you have a brand new hard drive.......and then use option 3....

Before you run option 3 on the recovery discs...............

1. Create Windows 10 installation media using the tool

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10/

2.  Go in to your UEFI/Bios settings and enable the F12 boot menu

3. Boot the Windows 10 installation media and when you see the screen below, press Shift F10 on your keyboard.....and you'll get a command prompt.

winShiftF10.png

4. From the command prompt, you can use "diskpart clean" to wipe your drive.  If you plan on selling  your computer or taking it recycle or salvation army, use "diskpart clean all". I wouldn't use "clean all" if I was keeping computer as it takes several hours.  I'd just use "clean".

Diskpart clean works on both HDDs and SSDs.

http://forum.crucial.com/t5/The-Cru/Reset-your-SSD-to-factory-settings-Windows-DiskPart/ba-p/162503

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder
    Options

If you're installing a brand new HDD or SSD, there is no data on the drive.   So there is nothing you need to do.  You don't need to partition it.  You don't need to format.  Your recovery discs should do all of that automatically.

I'm not an Acer employee.