Aspire One 532h with Win 7 Starter

Options
ChrisJBrady
ChrisJBrady Member Posts: 12 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives
The up and down cursor keys have stopped working. Also Fn 2 leastways the Fn key that switches the wifi on and off. Is there a patch that will restore them please?Many thanks.

Best Answer

• ChrisJBrady
    Answer ✓
    Options

Thanks guys for the hints. I have now solved the Fn+F2 wifi toggle issue.

It was actually quite simple!!

Firstly it is necessary to locate, download and install the latest Launch Manager driver. For me this was called:

LaunchManager_Dritek_3.0.11_W7x86_A

Then go to Start and Search for msconfig file - this will be msconfig.exe - click on this.

System Configuration should then start up.

There are three tabs of interest.

* General
    * Services
    * Startup

Make no changes to General. Some check boxes will be 'greyed' out showing that not all services or tools are set to be running. Mine are highly customised and closed down to improve performance.

Click on Services. Most of these will be checked. Make sure that the one labelled"Dritek" is checked. Click on Apply.

Click on Startup - many of the services I have de-clicked. But make sure that the one labelled"Dritek" is checked. Click on Apply.

And that's it. Now reboot the PC.

To test hold down the Fn key. Then also hold down the F2 key. 

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,593 Trailblazer
    Options

The Fn+F3 should toggle the wifi on and off. As for the up and down arrow or cursor keys, their hidden contacts below the cover are probably dirty. Try vacuuming or blowing air under them. A soft-bristle brush might also help to loosen up any debris. Don't put too much upward pressure on the key cover as it could pop off. Very difficult to replace a key cover. To test your Fn key, try toggling the screen on and off with the Fn+F6 combo.

Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• ChrisJBrady
    Options

Thank you for your response. On my keyboard the Fn 2 key toggles the wifi. And the Fn 3 key toggles Bluetooth - whch the Acer does not actually have installed!!

If I click on Fn 3 I get the response 'No Device.'

If I click on Fn 2 nothing happens - if wifi is 'on' it stayes 'on'; if wifi is 'off' it stays 'off'

The Up and Down cursors do not work, however all of the other keys and combinations work as expected. This happened after a Windows update, awhile ago now.

I have cleaned the keys with a brush and a powerful vacuum cleaner on 'blow.'

Usually I can get by but I need to run urgently TestDisk which is a command driven app. and this requires the Up and Down cursor keys to move the cursor to different test options in the command window. 

• JackE
    Options

>>>Thank you for your response. On my keyboard the Fn 2 key toggles the wifi. And the Fn 3 key toggles Bluetooth - whch the Acer does not actually have installed!!>>>

Sorry, just wanna make sure we're on the same wavelength. You meant Fn+F2 and Fn+F3 keyS as in plural, not "Fn 2" or "Fn 3" key as in a single key, correct? Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• ChrisJBrady
    Options

Thank you. Correct.

I have reinstalled the latest Launch Manager then rebooted but nothing has changed. All keys and key combinations work OK - except for Fn+F2 (wifi toggle) and the 'Up' and 'Down' cursor keys including Fn+Up (for sound vol. increase) and Fn+Down (for sound vol. decrease).  

BTW Fn+F6 does indeed toggle the screen on/off.

• JackE
    Options

OK. First thing to try is to re-seat the keyboard ribbon cable connector to the mainboard a half-dozen or so times to clean its contacts.

So  Google the keywords "532h" "disassembly" "keyboard" "youtube" for instructions . I think the first video on the listing is about the best --- uses a razor blade to unhook the plastic tabs on the top edge and sides of the keyboard. Don't worry if you break off a plastic keyboard or connector tab. An invisible strip of scotch tape can handle those issues.

If the F2 and up/down keys still don't respond as they should, then order a new replacement keyboard on ebay for $9 + free shipping. Enter the keywords ""532h" "keyboard". Make sure you get the keyboard with the Fn+F2 wifi toggle comblo since some of these netbooks also came with the Fn+F3 keyboard combo.

Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• ChrisJBrady
    Answer ✓
    Options

Thanks guys for the hints. I have now solved the Fn+F2 wifi toggle issue.

It was actually quite simple!!

Firstly it is necessary to locate, download and install the latest Launch Manager driver. For me this was called:

LaunchManager_Dritek_3.0.11_W7x86_A

Then go to Start and Search for msconfig file - this will be msconfig.exe - click on this.

System Configuration should then start up.

There are three tabs of interest.

* General
    * Services
    * Startup

Make no changes to General. Some check boxes will be 'greyed' out showing that not all services or tools are set to be running. Mine are highly customised and closed down to improve performance.

Click on Services. Most of these will be checked. Make sure that the one labelled"Dritek" is checked. Click on Apply.

Click on Startup - many of the services I have de-clicked. But make sure that the one labelled"Dritek" is checked. Click on Apply.

And that's it. Now reboot the PC.

To test hold down the Fn key. Then also hold down the F2 key. 

• JackE
    Options

Congrats Chris! Thanks for posting your solution here! Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ