Aspire One 255D not booting till battery and power removed and added back

Options
jazzl
jazzl Member Posts: 1 New User

Dear All,

For years, my netbook has been SO slow. It´s only been a host for winamp in my workout room, as there´s no way a normal person can have patience with the way it takes ages for each operation except for what´s in recent cache.

I´ve had Win Ultimate on it for years too, and though RAM is upgraded to 1 GB, I was thinking that alot more mem is needed for the same to run properly. Hence, I´m now in the process of install Starter 32 bit all over again, and so far it seems to help on the speed. However, I do see an issue all the time now due to its need for reboots during win update - an issue I was familiar with before, but hardly ever faced due to the computer always being on:

The problem is that the machine won´t boot till I´ve had the battery out and then the power cable disconnected as well for like 5-10 mins. Otherwise I get this:

https://communities.bmc.com/servlet/JiveServlet/showImage/2-136849-9483/noBCD.JPG

If I reboot after this, it´ll tell me that there´s no bootable media at all. 

But almost always, the power off method works, which leads me to thinking that this is a BIOS issue. However, there´s also reasons to believe that it´s a HDD issue, I know, but why would the HDD almost always NOT fail when the machine has been without power for 5-10 mins?

I hope someone could come up with good reasons why it´s one or the other of the two (if not a third thing) that´s the issues, with suggestions to what can be done about it.

Obviously, if it´s the HDD I´ll need to replace it, which won´t cost more than 30-40 EUR, but still I´m not gonna go there till I know for sure...

Thanks!

Best Regards

Jazzl

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,599 Trailblazer
    Options

>>>Hence, I´m now in the process of install Starter 32 bit all over again>>>

What method did you use to re-install Starter?

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ