Aspire ES15 restore stuck

Options
Kaidela1013
Kaidela1013 Member Posts: 14 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

Hey everyone.... I've been trying to restore my son's computer.  I have the restore USB from ACER, but the process is stalling at extracting sources\boot.wim.  I've given it a couple of hours and it hasn't changed.  He picked up a virus somewhere that essentially wiped most of his harddrive, so we had to start from scratch.   Unfortunately there weren't any restore points left either.  Thank for the help.  

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,557 Trailblazer
    Options

What was the original factory-installed Windows version? Have you tried the Alt+F10 cold boot re-set method yet? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Kaidela1013
    Options

The factory install was windows 8 or 8.1.  No I have not, I just followed the direction that came with the USB.  Restart the pc, press f12 at the logo and follow the prompts.  Would I use alt+f10 at the logo as well?

• JackE
    Options

If it was Win8.1, we can try the Alt+F10 method as shown in this video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvFRTfFGCgY

This is a cold boot process. You must press and hold the power button till the machine shuts off --- about 5 secs.  Then press the power button once to restart the machine. Immediately press the Alt key and start tapping the F10 key even before the ACER logo screen.

If it was Win8, we have more work to do on getting the USB installation stick unstuck.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Kaidela1013
    Options

Ok, it would appear that it was windows 8.  Pressign alt +f10 didn;t seem to tdo anythign different from what I'm used to.  I even tried removing the usb abd try without.  Then it took me to a failed boot screen, and then asked me to select a boot device.  Unfortunately that screen only seemed to recognize the dvd drive and the hard drive, but not the usb.  Thank you for all your help.  I really appreciate it.

• JackE
    Options

OK. Press & hold the power button till the system shuts off. Then start tapping the F2 key. Then press the power button once to turn the machine back on while still tapping the F2 key. The BIOS menu should appear. Make sure the HDD is identified in the INFO drop down. Then in the MAIN dropdown make sure the D2D recovery is enabled. Then move on to the BOOT dropdown and see if you can make the USB stick first in the boot order. Remove the USB stick. Then F10 to save BIOS settings and exit.

If the machine still won't boot, press and hold the power button again till the system shuts off. Then press the power button once again to turn the machine on. Immediately try the ALT+F10 procedure again. If it still does nothing, then shut the machine off again by pressing and holding the power button. Insert the ACER USB stick that you bought from the ACER store using your machine's SNID. Then press the power button once to turn the machine on. It should immediately start loading the USB Win8 installation, hopefully it won't get stuck again.

Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• Kaidela1013
    Options

Ok.  Got the bios to come up, however I had to remove the ACER USB for it to do so.  Switched the boot settings as instructed, if lists the HDD in the info column, D2D is enabled.  Alt+f10 continues to not do anything.  If the USB it does its startup thing, if not, then I get the no bootable device.  Powering the system up with the USB in, regardless of pressing f12 as the packaging instructed goes to the same screen.  A command prompt window opens up and wlecomes me to acer pxe server.  Then another warning window askign if I want to reset to factory default image.  If I do that, I get a partition size selection window.  It formats and applies the partitions just fine based off the text that scrolls by as it's working.  Past that it begins extracting files I assume are the image.  It gets stuck at various points in the extraction process though.    

• JackE
    Options

>>> It gets stuck at various points in the extraction process though.>>>

If it gets stuck at *various points*, what did you do to move on from one stuck extraction point to the next stuck extraction point? A Cancel button? A Retry button? Jack E/NJ  

Jack E/NJ

• Kaidela1013
    Options

After waiting for some time, i'd turn the computer of and try again.  The f12 boot options menu the instructions the ACER USB spoke of doesn't seem to work.  It said I should hit f12 when the logo first appears and I'd have a menu with boot options, and to select usb hdd.  I haven't seen that yet.  Just a x drive command prompt window

• Kaidela1013
    Options

In looking for enabling that f12 function, I switched the boot mode from UEFI to legacy and it seems to be doing a lot more now.  I think the files are actually extracted and copying.  I'll keep you posted.  Thanks again for all the help.

• JackE
    Options

OK. Keep going.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Kaidela1013
    Options

Well, that didn't turn out.  I did find the way the enable the f12 menu..... it's basically making sure you boot from the USB, which we already did.  The legacy attempt stalled out after an I/O device error.  Rebooted, tried it with the f12 menu under the EUFI boot, and it went a little bit, then stalled due to failing to open a file.  It's weird, hwo it doesn't seem to attempt to open it again.  The process just stops.

• Kaidela1013
    Options

Ok.  I'm having a repeat error.  Which is both good and bad I guess.  It reads....... can not open output file m:\temp_napp\efi\microsoft\boot\fonts\meiryo_boot.tff  I'd seen it earlier, but it had made it past this point a couple of times given a reboot and reattempt.  But it would appear that it's stuck here at the moment.

• doughjohn
    doughjohn Member Posts: 353 Mr. Fixit WiFi Icon
    Options

Hi

What Operating system was in use when the virus attack happened?

• JackE
    Options

Please change the BIOS menu back to UEFI mode. Then make sure secure boot option is disabled. Then re-try the coldboot  ALT+F10 method WITHOUT the ACER eRecovery USB stick. If ALT+F10 still doesn't work, then re-try the ACER stick.

Jack E/NJ

PS: Doughjohn, the WinVer seems to be Win8 but we're gonna re-try ALT+F10 just in case it's Win8.1   

Jack E/NJ

• Kaidela1013
    Options

overnight.jpgaltf10nostick.jpg

Ok, so the first pic is the screen from where I left it runnign overnight.  It seems to have stalled out at the bottom section.  The second is the cold boot attempt sans USB.  When attempted with the USB it just goes directly to same image recovery windows as in pic one, just at the begining of the process.  I changed the BIOS back as instructed before the last two attempts.  Does the cold boot take me to the blue Acer recovery screen?  The one that gives the refresh/restore/advanced options?  I haven't seen that come up since the first restore attempt.  After that it's always no bootable device without the ACER stick.

@doughjogn-OS at time of attack I believe was Win 8..... possible source was a program my son downloaded to help create a server for Unturned.  

Command before restore attempts.jpg

Here's a shot of the command prompt before I started the recovery process.  

• JackE
    Options

We've got too many things going on at once here. First thing I need to know is when the BIOS is in UEFI mode and secure boot is disabled, does the coldboot ALT+F10 re-set method without the ACER USB stick inserted as shown in this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvFRTfFGCgY get you to any kind of recovery or re-set screen? Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• Kaidela1013
    Options

Bios is in UEFI mood.  Secure boot enabled.  It doesn't allow me to change that option. Neither in the Security dropdown, or the boot drop down.  It's there, but it's greyed out and it won't let me navigate to it.  Here's the 4 BIOS screens.    The cold boot menu as shown in the video has not reappeared since the first restore attempt.  Thank you again for all the help.  I'm fairly computer literate, but this is well deeper than my experience takes me.BIOS2.jpgBIOS3.jpgBios4.jpg

[edited for privacy-please do not post personal or unique information such as but not limited to full names, email addresses, phone numbers, full serial numbers, etc.]

• JackE
    Options

Hmmm? The BIOS menu secure boot: option doesn't seem to be grayed out in your screenshot. What happens when you click on secure boot: ? Jack E/NJ

secure.jpg

Jack E/NJ

• Kaidela1013
    Options

I don't have a mouse option to click persee, but when i arrow down to it, it jumps over it and goes straight into the drive order selection.  In the security screen the only two things I can navigate to are the top and bottom password set options.

• JackE
    Options

If you haven't done so already since changing back to UEFI mode, do another power down coldboot and F2 into the BIOS menu. Check to see if the secure boot: option is now accessible. Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ