Aspire E5-511P wifi connection issues

Options
jimkong
jimkong Member Posts: 5 New User

I have brand new Aspire E5-511P bought at Best Buy this week.
It says it has a Qualcomm Atheros AR956x Wireless adapter. Driver version is 10.0.0.285.
The wireless network connection is dropping and coming back every 2-3 minutes.
I tried upgrading to a newer driver I found 10.0.0.298 but the issue remains.

Is anyone else having this problem?

I have another laptop, a roku, a wdtv and several cell phones of various types on my network.

Thanks in advance

Answers

• techy
    techy Member Posts: 56 Troubleshooter
    Options

this is a big problem in a lot of computers, i had this same issue, make sure the check mark for power management is removed for the network adapter in the device manager, this way windows can not let the device go to sleep mode when idle, your driver update was a good move, if the removal of the check box in power management does not help then i would say contact acer support.

• jimkong
    Options

Thanks techy! Good tip about the power saving mode, I never thought of that. I will give it a try

• jimkong
    Options

disabled power management

set network to metered connection

disabled bluetooth

upgraded wifi driver

uninstalled mcafee 

still experiencing disconnect / limited connectivity issue although not as frequently now.

• Tarlgreyhair
    Tarlgreyhair Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

I purchased an Aspire V3-371-yr59 last Saturday and plugged it in overnight before even turning on. Sunday afternoon was my time to play with new system but had wifi issues out of the box so I disconnected from AC and walked the 20 feet into the "computer" room so I could google from desktop. The router is also in that room and now had a strong signal and could connect so did the usual update driver check stuff. I transferred files etc with no issues, loaded world of warcraft to see what this system could do etc. with no issues. After a couple of hours I walked the system back out to living room for a recharge while I went out for a bit and still had solid bars and strong signal. Returning home I found I'd lost wifi again and couldn't reconnect so I unplugged and returned to router room where all was good again. Then I went for a walk around the house to see where wifi would drop - solid everywhere. I did some searching on Acer site for possible issues but nothing so went to google again to no avail. Ran system for hours, playing wow etc. from dining table with full solid bars signal and no performance issues at all but gaming was sucking the battery so I plugged the charger in again and inside a minute I lost wifi again. I unplugged charger - wifi returned - plugged in charger - lost wifi. Definitely repeatable. Acer chat support has not been able to help and I am thinking I just have a dud needing to be returned. Luckily I have a 10 day window for full refund. I am thinking charging circuit issue either inside the laptop or the AC adaptor. Other than the wifi issue on AC, seems like a great little laptop for the price so hopefully a new system will work as it should or someone out there can supply a fix before I return it.

• jimkong
    Options

I just exchanged mine for another of the same model. 

Let's see how this one goes. At least the exchange process was painless.

• jimkong
    Options

Same issues. 

• techgal
    techgal Member Posts: 14

Tinkerer

Options

I read your messages a few months ago as I have the E5-511P-C9BM Notebook and it took me a couple of months to figure out how to connect wirelessly.  I was originally thrown off by reading  a wireless-N adapter cannot work with a wireless-g router so I spent the money on a new router but still stubborn, I also read the acer should work with b/g/n. To make a long story short.....I fiddled with my wireless-g router and found a way for Acer to connect with my old router. It does not drop connections at all. My router is in another room and has a desktop connected to it there plus a Roku box and all are doing okay.  I see you bought another computer and hope it worked out for you. Just wanted to say my Acer Aspire does do wireless perfectly now.  My problem is with windows 8.1 which doesn't want me to access files and wants me to wipe out the compuer and start fresh. (sigh)...always something, isn't there? I liked XP and would like to get windows 7 as my printers do not like 8.1 .  They work with xp SP2 but 8.1 only tests for XP sp3 which I never had. Back to hours of fixing .

My Aspire always saw my network and tried to connect so it was very frustrating. My router wants its security word

unhidden, which I couldn' t get 8.1 to do but then I read how you can quickly unhide what is sent, and also I have my

router set to only accept the MAC addresses I put in, including the Acer. I also had to make a few adjustments in the router to accept the acer but just recently, it all went together great.  I do like the Acer but do not like Windows 8.1