Aspire E5-511G: display driver intel hd graphics drivers for windows 8(r) stopped responding

Options
nashat
nashat Member Posts: 3 New User
edited March 2023 in 2014 Archives

Hi All,

I bought my Aspire E5-511G few days ago.

I installed Windows 7 professional (x64) successfully.

I installed all the drivers downloaded form the support section also successfully.

The problem is that on approximately every 5~10 minutes I get the following message:

"display driver intel hd graphics drivers for windows 8(r) stopped responding and has recovered".

This message by itself is not annoying. The problem is that during skype video call after getting this message I don't see anymore nor my own video nor the video of the callee.

Not only this, restarting the call does not fix the problem. 

The only solution is to restart skype but this also does not work everytime.

I had similar issue with youtube videos but I fixed the problem by setting NVIDIA as preferred graphics processor for the browser application, however I don;t have such option for skype.

Can someone please help? This is very very annoying.

problem

Best Answer

• nashat
    Answer ✓
    Options

Looks like I managed to fix the problem.

First, the link provided by you was worng. The correct driver URL is https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?DwnldID=24329&lang=eng

As you see it is the same driver for indows 7/8/8.1-64-bit. 

Second, when I download and install it I already get a message that my driver is up-to-date (actuall I had other issues but this is another story)

In a nutshell, in order to install it I did the following:

1. Downloaded the zip version of the driver "win64_153330.zip".

2. Extracted the zip in a folder.

3. From windows device manager I uninstalled the existing intel HD graphics driver. As a result my display stopped working (which is expected).

4. Restarted the notebook, now windows loaded with the default VGA driver.

5. Opened device manager, located the VGA driver node, right-clicked and selected update driver.

6. In the update driver wizard I choosed the location of the already extracted files (step 2).

7. Driver installation passed successfuly and windows asked for restart.

Now after the restart I made a skype call for about 20 minutes and didn't get the driver error.

Also played few youtube videos - again now error.

Summary: 

The current (working) driver version is 10.18.10.3958

The driver version provided by Acer is 10.18.10.3621

I will post an update few days later how things are going.

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Options
    I'm not an Acer employee.
  • nashat
    Options

Yes. This is what I downloaded for my model form the acer drivers section. 

Interesting is that in the acer drivers page I don't have option to select windows 7 OS. The only listed option in the combo is Windows 8. I don't think this is an issue because all other drivers isntalled are working perfectly except the intel video.

I already tried the URL you gave but when I dowanload and run it I get the following message:

This computer does not meet the minimum requirements for installing this software.

I guess the drivers downloaded form Acer page are somehow "customized" for thier products.

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Options

Have you uninstalled the Acer driver before install the Intel's?

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • nashat
    Answer ✓
    Options

Looks like I managed to fix the problem.

First, the link provided by you was worng. The correct driver URL is https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?DwnldID=24329&lang=eng

As you see it is the same driver for indows 7/8/8.1-64-bit. 

Second, when I download and install it I already get a message that my driver is up-to-date (actuall I had other issues but this is another story)

In a nutshell, in order to install it I did the following:

1. Downloaded the zip version of the driver "win64_153330.zip".

2. Extracted the zip in a folder.

3. From windows device manager I uninstalled the existing intel HD graphics driver. As a result my display stopped working (which is expected).

4. Restarted the notebook, now windows loaded with the default VGA driver.

5. Opened device manager, located the VGA driver node, right-clicked and selected update driver.

6. In the update driver wizard I choosed the location of the already extracted files (step 2).

7. Driver installation passed successfuly and windows asked for restart.

Now after the restart I made a skype call for about 20 minutes and didn't get the driver error.

Also played few youtube videos - again now error.

Summary: 

The current (working) driver version is 10.18.10.3958

The driver version provided by Acer is 10.18.10.3621

I will post an update few days later how things are going.