Aspire E3-112 sudden keyboard malfunction

Options
DMW
DMW Member Posts: 1 New User
edited March 2023 in 2014 Archives

Hello,

I've had this laptop 3 weeks, and this morning the keyboard suddenly stopped working properly. All was fine last night, but this morning, when I tried to log in, I found that I couldn't type my password. Most keys have stopped working, while others just come up with random symbols or punctuation marks (e.g. the Fn key now displays a /). I can press any key to get from the intro screen with the clock and date. The touchpad is working as it should. Attaching an external keyboard also works. I've seen various posts online suggesting that it could be a problem with Windows 8.1, but none of the solutions given work. I'm therefore trying to work out whether it is a software or a hardware problem... Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Answers

• Ryanrr
    Ryanrr Member Posts: 831 Practitioner WiFi Icon
    Options

To rule out any software issues, perform a factore restore and see if the problem persists. If the problem continues, it could very well be an issue with the keyboard.

If you do not wish to perform a factory restore just yet, then you can try configuring your keyboard and make sure you have English selected and not another language/keyboard layout.

Change a keyboard layout in Windows 8.1:

http://acer.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/32047