Aspire E11 Boot to bios after Windows 10 upgrade

Options
iconibear
iconibear Member Posts: 9 New User
I have several of these systems scattered around the family and my grandson has managed to corrupt his PC to the point  where it needs to be rebuilt, I had already created a Windows 10 recovery drive using my E11 and thought I would check to see if I could still use F12 to change the boot order and to my dismay I could not, so next step was to boot to bios using F2 to change the boot order, once again I failed.

Is it possible to boot to bios anymore or are we locked out of our own PC's?

Best Answer

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Options

if you try to boot normally, what happens?

can you see Acer logo?

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • iconibear
    Options

Yes, the Acer logo is there but if you keep F2 pressed down it caries on a boot to Win10, or if you pulse F2 it just carries on to the Win10 logon screen.

My grandson's PC will not boot at all which is why I was checking the recovery options on my working PC. 

• IronFly
    Options

ok, have you tried ALT+F10 at boot to check if you can enter recovery?

• iconibear
    Options

Well, that did not do anything on my working PC, it just carried on to the Windows logon screen.

• IronFly
    Options

mmm ALT+F10 normally starts Acer erecovery or windows recovery on Acer laptops.

you need to test it on your grandson's E11, also about the Acer logo, not on yours Smiley Happy

• iconibear
    Options

My concern is, if I cannot boot to bios on a working system, change the boot order or acces the recovery process, what chance do I stand on a none working system.

Functions that were normally available to initiate the repair of a system appear to have been removed.

I will go and collect my Grandsons laptop and start again, I expect we will be exchanging ideas tomorrow.

• IronFly
    Options

on a working system, you can enter BIOS.

http://acer.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/37064/~/windows-10%3A-access-the-uefi-bios

you can have some issues on entering BIOS pressing F2 at boot, on a working system, because is not really shutting down but just entering hybrid shutdown.

the problem is on a non-working system, if we can't enter at least recovery at boot, it will be hard to do it.

so i must know if Acer logo is visible at boot or not.

• iconibear
    Options

Round 2

Collected the laptop, Acer Logo displayed, Alt & F10 took me into repair/recover started the repair process and off it went, after 6 hours of displaying 25%, considered that the system may not be repairable but left it running overnight and was greeted with 25%, attempted to re-build using the USB backup created - would not 'see' the USB as the source, looking for an 'image created earlier'.

• IronFly
    Options

do you need to recover personal data?

if not, and you already updated to windows 10 and it was authenticated; go for a clean install using an USB flash drive.

• iconibear
    Options

I figured a re-install was required when it just sat there doing nothing, but, where do you get a shiney new copy of Windows10 when it was installed via download, the usual source for Flash drives is an ISO file, can you suggest a source.

• IronFly
    Answer ✓
    Options

sure my friend:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

when it will ask for a product key, just skip those steps, the first time you will connect to the web it will authenticate, since you already did the update.

• iconibear
    Options

Thank you, all downloaded, loaded to the USB Drive and installed. 

Everything has gone as described, thanks for your assistance.

• IronFly
    Options

You welcome. Smiley Happy