Aspire E 15 wireless suddenly stopped working

r99h99
r99h99 Member Posts: 2 New User

Hi

Hopefully someone can help me fix my current issue, I have tried a few things baesd on internet searches I have done but no success yet...

Acer Aspire E 15, Windows 8.1

Background (in as much detail as possible):

Earlier this week I wanted to use Pokerstars, but I was due an update (I already had it installed). I updated and loaded it up, although it seemed to lag at the log in screen, so I CTR+ALT+DEL and ended it in task manager. I reopened the program and had the same issue, so I task manager'd it again and it still didn't work. So I rebooted. When I rebooted, all of a sudden I had no option of connecting to a wireless network - only ethernet and VPN in the settings.

I have been into device manager and can see that I have a Qualcomm Atheros Driver in my network devices, although it has an amber warning with code 52 (driver unsigned).

I tried going onto Acer website and downloading the latest driver, which comes with a set up package - unfortunately this didn't work. I tried uninstalling the driver and pointing to the driver that I had downloaded manually; but every time it tells me 'You have the best driver set up for this device' and reverts back to the unsigned driver.

I have tried FN + F3 to disable and enable flight mode - no impact.

I read somewhere about updating bios settings - but there are none in the download section when I put my serial number into the Acer website.

I also tried downloading drivers from other external website and downloaded some third party program called 'Driver Assist' as the way the page was set up fooled me into thinking that was the legit download - it didn't work, and I have subsequently uninstalled it

I am so frustrated and all out of ideas - I have only had the laptop just over a month new, and all had been working until then. Extremely unlikely to be any other spyware as the only things I have installed on here are Steam (FM15) and Pokerstars. I don't even really use this for browsing, just those two apps.

Someone please help me; eternal gratitude on offer here.

Rob

Further info - not sure if relevant but I installed the Acer WLAN + Bluetooth setup as a potential fix, and the bluetooth element seems to be functioning fine - not sure if they're on the same integrated card?

Answers

• r99h99
    r99h99 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Right I found a solution no thanks to your website but on Youtube

Turns out, for some bizarre reason the factory network adapter driver lost its digital signature, which I just find strange anyway.

So apparently windows 8.1 won't install anything without a valid sig. Was able to disable this function, restarted, instant solution.

Windows 8.1 seems a joke of an OS and I'm not sure the laptop did it any favours losing the sig for no reason?

Anyway solved, hopefully someone can learn from this