Aspire E 15 Es1-511 Touchpad not working on Windows 10

Jems
Jems Member Posts: 2 New User

On Thurday 30th July, I downloaded Windows 10 from the official Microsoft website and installed it on my acer.

After start up I realised that the touchpad was not working at all, I use my wireless mouse with my laptop because I use it a lot for gaming, the mouse works fine but the touchpad just isn't responding :/

I've installed both drivers for the touchpad from the official website and still no change Smiley Sad Does anyone have advice? 

Thanks Smiley Happy

Answers

• JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder

The thread in link below is for a different model, but I think they installed the chipset driver for their computer to get it working.  Obviously you would only want to use the drivers for your specific model (and not theirs).

http://community.acer.com/t5/Windows-10/touchpad-stopped-working-after-windows-10/m-p/372306#M125

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • mdaubney
    mdaubney Member Posts: 2 New User

I spent hours figuring this one out. In the BIOS you need to change the touchpad option from Advanced to Basic and it will start working again. Apparently a special driver (called "I2C HID Driver") needs to be installed for it to work in advanced mode after the upgrade. I haven't figured out how to get the driver yet but eventually I will. To get into BIOS, reboot and keep hitting F2 until the bios screen pops up.

Installing the ELAN driver doesn;t make any difference if it can't see the touchpad in the first place.

I normally turn off the touchpad and use a mouse anyway but I don't always carry a mouse with me so it is inconvenient not to have the touchpad.

Hope this helps.

Mike

• Jems
    Jems Member Posts: 2 New User

Sounds like they'll both work, I'll give them a go Smiley Very Happy

Where do I find the Advanced Touchpad option in BIOS?

Thanks both Smiley Happy

-James

• mdaubney
    mdaubney Member Posts: 2 New User

It's under Main, second item from the bottom. Just set it to Basic.

NOTE: Windows 10 automatically installed the latest ELAN driver, it magically appeared when I checked my Mouse properties. It is more up to date than the one on the Acer site.

Mike