Aspire D255E network proxy settings can't be detected

Options
CatLady1
CatLady1 Member Posts: 12 New User
edited March 2023 in 2014 Archives

I've asked about this before, but can't find my original post. My netbook was working fine until suddenly I lost connectivity.  A popup window over the connection logo in the tray--bars with a red X over them--says network proxy settings can't be detected. When I click on the little wrench icon, it also says detected, but then there's a yellow triangle with an exclamation point in it.

I tried the fixes in the troubleshooting netbooks area of this site, but they didn't work.  Clicked on the connection logo, it says Windows couldn't automatically detect this network's proxy settings. Under detection details, it gives the file name 1A40D7A3-7CDE-40F4-195E4ADD6327.Diagnose.Admin.0.etl for network diagnostics log; for other networking configuration and logs, it's NetworkConfiguration.cab . 

When I logon, the popup says it can't connect to System Event Notification Service; also says review System Event log. I've tried looking for those, but can't find them.

Tried chat, but it timed out. Is it free, BTW? I don't have a credit card.

I also get a message saying I need to change my Windows Update settings; when I click on it, I click on the highlighted automatic install, but keep getting this message.

How/why did this happen, and what can I do to fix this as well as prevent this from happening again?

I really need to have this issue fixed ASAP. Thanks.

Best Answer

Answers

• philetus
    philetus ACE Posts: 4,759 Pathfinder
    Options

I think your best bet is to Recover your netbook. Save your perdonal data to a USB external drive or a large (16GB) USB flashdrive. Restart and press the "Alt-F10" keys at the same time to bring up the recovery menu. Press Enter and follow the prompts to Factory Recover the system.

• CatLady1
    Answer ✓
    Options

Thanks, Philetus, I'll try that.

• CatLady1
    Options

Okay, I did that, now detecting wifi connections, but how do I get the stuff I saved on the flash drive back into my netbook? It's not like I do this everyday, lol.

• philetus
    philetus ACE Posts: 4,759 Pathfinder
    Options

Plug in the flash drive and copy/paste the data back to where you saved it from.

• CatLady1
    Options

Okay, thanks.