Aspire 8530G MS2249 Won't Boot - Black Screen, Fan spinning

Options
lappertopper
lappertopper Member Posts: 4 New User
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives

Hello,

I've got an Aspire 8530G-754G64Mn, Model MS2249. It starts with a black screen, both on laptop and VGA monitor. Some LEDs are lit, fan is spinning at moderate speed, nothing more happens, especially no booting.

Some say it's the graphics adapter (which one? It's got two, onboard + card), others say it's the BIOS.

Which is more probable and how can I find out?

TIA

Dieter

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Options

This kind of issue normaly is related to a BIOS problem.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • lappertopper
    Options

Thank you, IronFly!

Can I please get two more opinions to make a decission? :-)

lappertopper

• lappertopper
    Options

No more opinions?

Then please guess how I solved it Smiley Wink

• philetus
    philetus ACE Posts: 4,759 Pathfinder
    Options

I would very much appreciate it if you would tell us how you solved it.

• lappertopper
    Options

As you won't guess it anyway, here's the solution :-)

According to Acer's service guide I would have had to completely disassemble the whole thing in order to get to the lithium RTC battery (CMOS battery). So this button cell really was the last thing I'd like to check. But I found a shortcut: I only had to remove 6 bottom screws to be able to pry open the left front corner of the case. I used a peace of wood to hold it open while replacing the button cell. The old cell had been discharged down to 0.7 volts (from 3.3 volts when new) and the laptop wouldn't boot. I replaced the cell and now everything's fine.

RTC_Batt.jpg

Thanks for your patience.

• philetus
    philetus ACE Posts: 4,759 Pathfinder
    Options

Cool, thanks.

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Options
    Good to hear it.
    I'm not an Acer employee.
  • panchovilla
    panchovilla Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

You saved my day with this tip. I have registered just to say "Thank you !!!!!!!"

• Beststayinphuket
    Beststayinphuket Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

According to Acer's service guide I would have had to completely disassemble the whole thing in order to get to the lithium RTC battery (CMOS battery). So this button cell really was the last thing I'd like to check. But I found a shortcut: I only had to remove 6 bottom screws to be able to pry open the left front corner of the case. I used a peace of wood to hold it open while replacing the button cell. The old cell had been discharged down to 0.7 volts (from 3.3 volts when new) and the laptop wouldn't boot. I replaced the cell and now everything's fine.

RTC_Batt.jpg

An interesting post...  as in 20 years of computer repairs I have never seen the CMOS battery stopping boot!
    I also have and ACER 8930G that baffles all "experts" I was getting on top of things when it now does not show BIOS and the fan runs..

In all the computers I have seen, the Bios Battery simply keeps track of time really and has no effect on booting..
    I will however change it , don't hold your breath...   cheers all..

• Onamu
    Onamu Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

RTC_Batt.jpg

An interesting post...  as in 20 years of computer repairs I have never seen the CMOS battery stopping boot!
    I also have and ACER 8930G that baffles all "experts" I was getting on top of things when it now does not show BIOS and the fan runs..

In all the computers I have seen, the Bios Battery simply keeps track of time really and has no effect on booting..
    I will however change it , don't hold your breath...   cheers all..

Me too, but i had to try it anyway just to see if it will work. Well it didn't. Did you figure out the answer? Thanks