Aspire 7740 - eRecovery Management - all items in re-install applications list are missing.

Options
Rockhopper
Rockhopper Member Posts: 19 New User
edited March 2023 in 2014 Archives

Aspire 7740 - eRecovery Management - Restore - Reinstall Drivers or Applications - Contents - all items in re-install applications list are missing. How can they be restored?

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,630 Trailblazer
    Options

Is this still a Win7 machine? Did you in fact try to do an erecovery option using the Alt + F10 startup combination?

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Rockhopper
    Options

Yes to all. Did a reinstall of system from eRecovery. After doing such the card reader didn't work. Installed card reader from eRecovery list of drivers/applications. Card reader now works. Go back to eRecovery to check driver/application list and the list is gone.

Had same problem a few years ago and Acer told me wat to do but cannot find that information.

• JackE
    Options

>>>After doing such the card reader didn't work. Installed card reader from eRecovery list of drivers/applications. Card reader now works. Go back to eRecovery to check driver/application list and the list is gone.?>>>

You say the card reader now works. But, other than the apparent missing list on re-entering the ERM program, what other devices in fact do NOT work? Also please check device mgr in control panel for any device errors or warnings. Report back.

Thanks

Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• Rockhopper
    Options

Everything else works. The only thing missing is the list of drivers/applications list and manuals list in ERM. Subsect heddings are there but no items are listed.

• JackE
    Options

Rockhopper>>>Everything else works.>>>

OK. I think we can fix this problem. If device mgr doesn't detect any hardware or driver problems, then I'm gonna take a wild guess that your ERM software will only display the list of devices that are either disabled or have missing drivers on your c:\ partition. Then, if you like to take big chances with ERM, you can test this wild guess by disabling, deleting & uninstalling drivers one by one till nothing else works. Then see if the missing ERM list suddenly re-appears and can get you back to everything else working again. 8^)

Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• Rockhopper
    Options

List still not there. I do get the heading window where I can choose Contents or Manuals. When I choose Contants I get the window that has the heading Aspire Series Software and under Windows Software there is still no list of available software.

I remeber when this happened before it was a simple procedure to get the list back. I don't remember if it was a register change or something else. And I think answer came from Acer.

• JackE
    Options

Well, maybe so. But I wouldn't want to mess with the registry changes unless you have problems other than with this missing ARM  list.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Rockhopper
    Options

So, there isn't anything I can do to get that drivers list back? I sure hope nothing needs to be reinstalled in the future.

• JackE
    Options

Check your c:\ for the following subdirectory.

C:\OEM\Preload\Autorun\APP\Acer eRecovery Management

If it exists, you could try re-running ARM setup executable in this subdirectory (recovery_management.exe) to see if it'll repopulate the list. If not, I'm fairly confident the ALT+F10 erecovery process will get you out of future trouble if the hidden recovery partition remains intact. And from your previous comments, I think this partition is OK at this point. So as regards to your earlier post on the card reader,  I think the it could've been installed and enabled solely thru ALT+F10 erecovery process without ever using ARM software suite.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Rockhopper
    Options

I found C:\OEM\Preload\Autorun\APP\eRY\setup.exe and \eRY4053005ACER.cfg

Ran setup but still no driver/app list or manuals list.

• JackE
    Options

As noted before, the ALT+F10 startup erecovery process should allow device drivers and other factory software to be installed and enabled if need be from the hidden Acer recovery partition. Future updates to device drivers that you can find and download on the Acer and other mfrs' support sites can also be installed and enabled without using the ARM software. I have never had to use it to recover from corrupted, or updated to new, device drivers.  

Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• Rockhopper
    Options

The Alt+10 didn't work. I guess it's lost forever. Only hope I never have to reinstall anything. Thanks for trying.

• JackE
    Options

>>>The Alt+10 didn't work. >>>

During startup, you press and hold the ALT key while tapping the F10 key --- not the 1 and 0 keys. Follow this ACER ALT+F10 key video to access the erecovery process screen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2xoMEPfiPQ

I don't recommend running the actual process since your machine seems to be working OK now. If the process screen does not appear then it probably means your hidden recovery partition has somehow been corrupted. But all is not lost since you can order erecovery media specific to your machine directly from Acer for nominal cost.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Rockhopper
    Options

I have already tried the ALT+F10 to no avail. However, I descovered that I made a backup DVD of the App's/Driver's. If I need to reinstall any apps I can do so from the disk.

• JackE
    Options

>>> I descovered that I made a backup DVD of the App's/Driver's.>>>

Good for you! Sounds like you're all set if there's ever a problem!

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ