Aspire 7740-5691 CPU Upgrade

Options
NamelessGhoul
NamelessGhoul Member Posts: 3 New User
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives

Hi All,

I upgraded my Aspire 7740-5691 CPU from the origanal i3 to an i5, now I get a boot warning at start(Pictured) up. I hit f1 and the system starts up and runs great. Does anyone know a way to disable or fix this issue?

Bios V1.15

O/S Windows 7 Pro 64bit

20170308_224605.jpg

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,610 Trailblazer
    Options

Trying pressing F2 at the Acer logo screen to enter the BIOS menu to make sure that the new processor is recognized and remembered by the BIOS chip. Then F10 to exit and save settings. Report back with results. Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• NamelessGhoul
    Options

Thanks for the reply, Yes the CPU in the BOIS is showing as the new i5. I also upgraded(loose term) to Windows 10 last night on the outside chance that it may help, it didn't.... I'm thinking a BOIS update is what is needed, but I see so many people here talking about bricking their Acer's after doing BIOS update, I don't want to put the i3 back in because the computer seems to be about 3-4x faster...

• JackE
    Options

I ***strongly**** advise against flashing the BIOS. Right now you only have an annoyance that's probably NEITHER due to the CPU change NOR the BIOS version. It's  more likely just a coincidental result of an elderly CMOS cell that's almost 10 years old. It's getting tired.  This causes the BIOS to lose it's mind and to re-set itself on a cold boot. To sorta confirm this, what happens when you do a warm re-boot? If it warm boots OK, then what happens when you do an immediate cold re-boot vs a cold boot after being off for a few hours? Jack E/NJ   

Jack E/NJ

• NamelessGhoul
    Options

thats how I was leaning..... thanks for your time. FYI when I put the old i3 CPU back in starts fine, but I will trade hitting f1 for the speed increase.

• JackE
    Options

>>>FYI when I put the old i3 CPU back in starts fine, but I will trade hitting f1 for the speed increase.>>>

I'd still like to know what happens on a warm re-boot with the I5. The reason? All the BIOS versions are likely set to an I3 default without a CMOS battery. So when it sees an I5, it has to re-set from the I3 default. As long as the CMOS battery is OK, it remembers this I5 re-set on the next cold boot. If the CMOS is tired, it defaults to the I3 again on shut down and has to re-set itself for the I5  again on a cold boot. Accordingly, I'd guess the BIOS would remember the I5 on a warm boot where the condition of the CMOS battery is irrelevant and you wouldn't have to hit the F1 to continue.  Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• myplatypus
    myplatypus Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    This is an older post, but perhaps someone will see this and respond. I have the same laptop and would like to upgrade the CPU as the OP did. Can someone recommend which i5 (or maybe the laptop could even take an i7) to use? Thanks in advance.