Aspire 7720G powers ON, no ACER logo, screen blank, then shuts down 10 seconds after.

Options
martineboh
martineboh Member Posts: 12 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives
I have an Acer Aspire 7720G that shuts down 10 seconds after powering ON. Fan spins for half the time, screen is blank - NO ACER LOGO. I have checked every hardware possible. I even changed the CMOS Battery. Now I am suspecting the processor is faulty. It could be the BIOS Chip also. Please help as I can't afford a new motherboard or a laptop for now. Thanks

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,478 Trailblazer
    Options

What happens if you remove the battery try to run it on the charger alone? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• martineboh
    Options
    Thanks for the reply. The same thing is happening when I removed the battery and only use the power adapter. Still shuts down exactly 10 seconds after start without the ACER logo.
  • JackE
    Options

Does the same thing happen with the battery alone, no charger? Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• martineboh
    Options
    Yes, same thing happens.
  • JackE
    Options

OK. Did this happen suddenly and unexpectedly? Meaning without any unusual software/hardware changes or physical conditions the machine was exposed to? Jack E/NJ  

Jack E/NJ

• martineboh
    Options
    Thanks. No hardware or software updates during this period. After my daily operations, I hibernated and connected the adapter to charge. But I slept off. In the morning, I powered it up, the system starts but don't boot up and immediately shutdown about 10 seconds. Though I had updated/flash the BIOS to v1.45 months back and everything seems fine. I had a friend strip to only the motherboard, after powering just the motherboard without RAM, HD, GPU, Fan...the motherboard does the same. Could it be related to power? No sign of damaged capacitors or power ICs. A friend suggested it could be the BIOS chip since the Acer logo didn't come on.
  • JackE
    Options

What issue(s) were you having that you thought the BIOS v1.45 firmware update might fix? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• martineboh
    Options
    The laptop came installed with Vista. Now, it's on Windows 10. I flashed v1.45 to turn on hardware virtualization and it worked, and I have been using it for more than 8 months with no issue.
  • JackE
    Options

OK, good reason. Now, with a multimeter, double-check the voltage output between the two outermost battery terminals.  Must be at least 7v. Also double=check the voltage output of the adapter plug. Must be at least 19v. Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• martineboh
    Options
    We already checked and everything seems fine. This is pretty strange.
  • JackE
    Options

Does the laptop's LED charge indicator seem to work normally with the charger plugged in? Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• martineboh
    Options
    Battery charging LED lights up when charging and the battery charges, the only downside is that the LED stays orange even though the battery is 100%. This has been going on for over 6 months now. It's used to be green when battery reaches 100% in the early days. Recently I started getting inaccurate date before this happened. I have replaced the CMOS Battery thinking it could be the cause, but still the same. When i press the power button the led’s will turn on and the fan would spin, blank screen, no ACER logo, but then it goes right back off 10 seconds...
  • JackE
    Options

How recently have you re-checked the battery voltage? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• martineboh
    Options
    We checked it yesterday.
  • JackE
    Options

We're splitting hairs now. But your mainboard's prognosis sorta depends on it. Is the battery voltage more or less than 7.5v? Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• martineboh
    Options
    The battery volt is exactly 7volts.
  • JackE
    Options

Not enough, it's under the 7.5 minimum necessary. And you're absolutely sure the charger's output plug is 19v or more? Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• martineboh
    Options
    Yes, I am sure! Could this be the northbridge chip faulire?
  • JackE
    Options

Just about anything's possible. But if it was mine---and I really liked the machine---and I wanted to tinker with it anyway---i might gamble ~$50 on a new mainboard just to see if I could get it up and running again. Anything more than that simply doesn't seem practical. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• martineboh
    Options
    Thanks for your suggestions. Replacing the Mobo could surely fix the issue I am having, but with the current exchange rates doubling in my country, that's not an option right now. Here's a practical fix for exactly the same issue as mine and it was fixed in this 2-part YouTube video https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AMujAmDTiWM and https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Kh700fkqQrE. Though this might be a last resort, but really helpful.