Aspire 7551 not recognizing charger

SoneAnna
SoneAnna Member Posts: 4 New User
Hello! As the title says, I have an Aspire 7551 laptop--it's a bit old, so I realize that may be the problem, but I do want to troubleshoot before assuming it's just crapped itself.

The other day, it stopped recognizing its charger. We at first assumed it was the battery, and bought a new one, but nope. Also tried 3 different chargers after that and still nothing. The new battery works, but but the laptop itself isn't acknowledging that there's a charger plugged in, and is running off of straight battery life. The physical laptop itself isn't particularly damaged, aside from general wear and tear from age, and the charger port seems undamaged.

Any help would be appreciated!

Answers

• Mary-Acer
    Mary-Acer Acer Crew Posts: 868 Acer Crew

It could be a bad AC adapter or the mainboard is the problem. You can try a new AC adapter/power cord which can be purchased from the online Acer store at http://store.acer.com/. If a replacement AC adapter/power cord does not resolve the issue, the system would need repair at that point. Hope this is helpful.

• SoneAnna
    As I said, we tried 3 different chargers.

What sort of system repair?
  • padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder

Were the chargers 19 V / 3.42 - 4.74A (65W minimum) ? Lesser chargers (e.g. 2.5A) will not work.

• SoneAnna
    The first and second chargers were 19v/3.42a exactly. Not sure what the third was, but I'd been using the first one when the battery stopped charging. It was fine before.
  • blake
    blake Member Posts: 16 Troubleshooter

if you can have the chargers checked out. an electronic store could tell you if they are ok or not. if they are ok

then have them check the power plug of the laptop; (this is the one that you plug your charging into the laptop). one of mine i had replaced and it is working fine. sometimes they get bent or the charging unit does not stay in tight anymore. hope this helps.

• SoneAnna
    The chargers work with the other laptops in the house.